Search

Buying Miles - Is this the best option?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Buying Miles - Is this the best option?

Here is the situation -

I need 251K miles to fly round trip to BKK from RDU next year ( flexible on time - can be end of March through middle of April for 2 weeks). Not frequent fliers - takes forever to get miles, and know that we will be paying to fly business class. And then - saw AA has a bonus points sale going on - I have roughly 84K miles in AA - and there is J availability to BKK. So - I can either pay ~3K for 2 of us to fly to BKK and back - or based on what is out there, at least 5K if we DONT use points.

Before I pull the trigger - wanted to see what you all think? Are there any other avenues I am not exploring?

Thank you for your replies....
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Desirees
Here is the situation -

I need 251K miles to fly round trip to BKK from RDU next year ( flexible on time - can be end of March through middle of April for 2 weeks). Not frequent fliers - takes forever to get miles, and know that we will be paying to fly business class. And then - saw AA has a bonus points sale going on - I have roughly 84K miles in AA - and there is J availability to BKK. So - I can either pay ~3K for 2 of us to fly to BKK and back - or based on what is out there, at least 5K if we DONT use points.

Before I pull the trigger - wanted to see what you all think? Are there any other avenues I am not exploring?

Thank you for your replies....
Are you able to choose your dates now? If so, go to aa.com, and see if two Business Class award seats are available. If you see nothing, call AA, and ask if award seats are available on Cathay Pacific (which cannot be displayed during an aa.com award search).

If you find something suitable via either method, put the awards on a free, five-day hold. Then, and only then, go ahead and buy the additional miles.

Don't forget: It's not just the cost of the miles you would buy; it's also the value of the miles you already have.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Plus the value of the miles you would have earned from flying on tickets purchased with money.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Keep in mind that you will have to split the purchases between your two accounts to keep each one under AA's per-account limit of 150K miles bought or received per year.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Curious about using AA miles to book a flight from LAX to CDG on Air Tahiti Nui. How would you search for this?

Looks like someone posted a YouTube video of their flight and had text that it cost 42k AA miles with some taxes.

TIA
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
Keep in mind that you will have to split the purchases between your two accounts to keep each one under AA's per-account limit of 150K miles bought or received per year.
That 150K limit is before purchase bonuses. Right now you can buy 250K miles in a single transaction: you pay for 150K, and get an additional 100K as a bonus under the current promotion. (Of course, that would still be 1,000 miles short of what the OP needs.)

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 17, 2019 at 4:51 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Curious about using AA miles to book a flight from LAX to CDG on Air Tahiti Nui. How would you search for this?

Looks like someone posted a YouTube video of their flight and had text that it cost 42k AA miles with some taxes.

TIA
You would call AA, and ask an agent to check award availability. But if you're looking to travel roundtrip, I would check cash fares; they may cost less than the 85,000 miles needed for the roundtrip.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Thank you for your replies. So, I took advantage of the bonus AA is offering to buy miles and got 205K - then the 56K transferred from Marriott and for some reason, got another 10K as bonus...already had 28K in my AA account...so that put me at a sweet spot where I can now get the tickets. Worked out well - just need to figure out the return now.
Did check cash fares exhaustively - and this turned out to be a really good deal with the aa point bonus,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.