FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Check-in time question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1977967-check-time-question.html)

RetiredATLATC Jul 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Check-in time question

I am flying next month to IAH, on a Delta awards ticket, with an expected arrival time of approx 1:15pm and then flying IAH-DOH-MLE on Qatar, scheduled to leave at 6:00pm.

Could someone advise me how early the check-in desk for Qatar at IAH opens? We'll have hand luggage only, so nothing to collect after arriving at IAH.

Thank you

Yoshi212 Jul 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Generally 3 hours before the flight but guaranteed 2.5 hours before. It'll be contract staff so if you do decide to go landside to checkin earlier look for other outstation airlines and ask if they also handle QR checkin. They may be able/willing to check you in early.

RetiredATLATC Jul 13, 2019 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 31300985)
Generally 3 hours before the flight but guaranteed 2.5 hours before. It'll be contract staff so if you do decide to go landside to checkin earlier look for other outstation airlines and ask if they also handle QR checkin. They may be able/willing to check you in early.

Thank you

LondonElite Jul 14, 2019 1:10 am

To add to what Yoshi212 wrote, understand that you are travelling on two separate tickets so you don't have a connection. Whilst you've left sufficient time in my opinion, if for whatever reason you don't present yourself on time for the QR flight departure (DL flight hugely delayed, cancelled, etc), the ticket and all segments will auto-cancel. Neither QR nor DL has any obligation to do anything further and you'll likely have to buy a new return ticket to MLE if you still want to travel. These are the risks of travelling on separate tickets, and why some people choose to arrive the day before.

RetiredATLATC Aug 22, 2019 4:03 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31301324)
To add to what Yoshi212 wrote, understand that you are travelling on two separate tickets so you don't have a connection. Whilst you've left sufficient time in my opinion, if for whatever reason you don't present yourself on time for the QR flight departure (DL flight hugely delayed, cancelled, etc), the ticket and all segments will auto-cancel. Neither QR nor DL has any obligation to do anything further and you'll likely have to buy a new return ticket to MLE if you still want to travel. These are the risks of travelling on separate tickets, and why some people choose to arrive the day before.

Thanks. I heeded your advice and arrived a day early and the next day low and behold Qatar yanks us around for 4+ hours before cancelling the IAH-DOH flight. Complete clusterf*

LondonElite Aug 22, 2019 6:19 am

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC (Post 31443115)
Thanks. I heeded your advice and arrived a day early and the next day low and behold Qatar yanks us around for 4+ hours before cancelling the IAH-DOH flight. Complete clusterf*

Sorry to hear that. Arriving early wasn't necessary in this case, but at least you are now under the protection of the QR ticket. Hopefully they get you to MLE soon!