FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Help: Honeymoon trip - Points Credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1977681-help-honeymoon-trip-points-credit.html)

EBFF Jul 11, 2019 8:12 am

Help: Honeymoon trip - Points Credit

Hi, Boys and Girls :)

My wife and I are travelling to South America (Brasil, Argentina and Chile) for 2 months soon.

We are trying to decide where to credit our points to get the best value - we are planning more than a few flights (around 8 segments) and I think we can get more of those points if we play smart :)

So we live in Israel, Today I'm crediting my points to Agean Airlines and Alaska (all my El-Al and BA flights) and my wife is crediting Iberia.
We both own AMEX Platinum and posses Gold in Hilton, and also statues on Marriot and Radisson.

We are flying LATAM from TLV to Sao Paulo (M fare) and Sao Paulo to Rio (Y Fare), our return bound is from Buenos Aires with Iberia, to TLV (Y fare), all other segments might be on LATAM or any other local brand.

I tried to search the Internet and Flyertalk to understand which company will be the best for this trip, but have no clue, it's a long long trip with multiple segments, will be a shame, not the use it wisely :)

Thanks!

guv1976 Jul 11, 2019 8:41 am

Originally Posted by EBFF (Post 31292504)
Hi, Boys and Girls :)

My wife and I are travelling to South America (Brasil, Argentina and Chile) for 2 months soon.

We are trying to decide where to credit our points to get the best value - we are planning more than a few flights (around 8 segments) and I think we can get more of those points if we play smart :)

So we live in Israel, Today I'm crediting my points to Agean Airlines and Alaska (all my El-Al and BA flights) and my wife is crediting Iberia.
We both own AMEX Platinum and posses Gold in Hilton, and also statues on Marriot and Radisson.

We are flying LATAM from TLV to Sao Paulo (M fare) and Sao Paulo to Rio (Y Fare), our return bound is from Buenos Aires with Iberia, to TLV (Y fare), all other segments might be on LATAM or any other local brand.

I tried to search the Internet and Flyertalk to understand which company will be the best for this trip, but have no clue, it's a long long trip with multiple segments, will be a shame, not the use it wisely :)

Thanks!

Welcome to FT!

Because different FFPs can have wildly different redemption rates, fees, and policies, you really need to decide what your goals are. Getting the most points/miles in a program that charges twice as much as other programs for the redemptions you want is not a sound goal

For example, BA Avios can provide very good value for short- or medium-haul nonstops between London and Europe on BA, or short- or medium-haul nonstops on AA. But if your goal is to get award tickets between TLV and someplace else, I doubt that you would get good value from BA Avios.

Tell us more about what you want to use your points/miles for, and we can give you better advice.

EBFF Jul 11, 2019 8:58 am

Thank you! and thank you for your warm welcome (although I'm reading the forums for 2 years already)

Yes, my first goal is to earn rewards tickets (either Europe or to south-east Asia), But I'm also Star Alliance Gold member, so if I can get Oneworld Emerald \ Silver till the end of the trip it will be sweet (flying BA 5-6 times a year for work)

guv1976 Jul 11, 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by EBFF (Post 31292658)
Thank you! and thank you for your warm welcome (although I'm reading the forums for 2 years already)

Yes, my first goal is to earn rewards tickets (either Europe or to south-east Asia), But I'm also Star Alliance Gold member, so if I can get Oneworld Emerald \ Silver till the end of the trip it will be sweet (flying BA 5-6 times a year for work)

Is your work travel in Business Class? If so, you may indeed be able to reach oneworld status. Be sure to compare the BAEC requirements for reaching oneworld status with Iberia Plus' requirements; you could opt to credit your BA flights to IB, rather than to BA, if doing so helps you reach status sooner.

SanDiego1K Jul 11, 2019 9:42 am

There's a tool called Where To Credit that you might find useful. Be aware that you want to get as many points as possible in a single account. A handful of points here and there will be of no benefit for future redemption.

https://www.wheretocredit.com/