Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

complete despair (gf stranded in Turkey due to stolen credit card)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: stolen credit card

• Hello, My name Wayne lail my girlfriend is currently in turkey her credit card has been stolen. she has contacted the necessary authorities. only to learn she has no way to return home. and no way to receive funds from her bank. what can I do????
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Send her some money, Wayne. That’s what a good boyfriend would do.
Originally Posted by Wayne Lail
  • Hello, My name Wayne lail my girlfriend is currently in turkey her credit card has been stolen. she has contacted the necessary authorities. only to learn she has no way to return home. and no way to receive funds from her bank. what can I do????
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The first thing to do is to make sure that she really is in Turkey and that her credit card really was stolen. Desperate calls/emails like this are often scams.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
The first thing to do is to make sure that she really is in Turkey and that her credit card really was stolen. Desperate calls/emails like this are often scams.
And posts on public forums from new members with such emergencies are often scams, too.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
So she bought only a one way ticket with no return? Sounds fishy but if so, buy her a ticket home with your credit card.
nancypants, Mwenenzi, muji and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I just got an email today that a Nigerian prince is sending me $27 million. Perhaps I can use a bit of it to help the OP’s girlfriend.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Assuming you’ve verified this isn’t a scam, go to a Western Union and send her some money, and buy her a ticket home with your own credit card.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:15 pm

She should contact her consulate or embassy for assistance.
wrp96, muji and JDiver like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
After marriage, wives do the same thing from shopping stores
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Isn't the credit card company sending her a new car overnight?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trm2
Don’t go to the embassy if you’re from Saudi Arabia.
nk15 and :D! like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:40 pm

Mr. Lail, are things OK now?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trm2
What credit card company are you with? I want in on that; I just asked Amex and they completely refused to send me a new car. They did offer to call a taxi for me.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Wayne Lail
How did she call you? Did you tell her to contact her credit card company? Stolen credit cards are really not a big deal and she's certainly not stranded.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AmEx should be able to arrange to pay her hotel bill and also cover dinner and other expenses at the hotel if she lost one of their (better?) cards, just so she can eat and sleep until the replacement card arrives.

Some embassies can expedite the transfer of emergency funds but they won't just give money to one of their citizens.

Was her passport taken too?

BTW, does the OP know for sure that the girlfriend really is in Turkey or is supposed to be there? And how did she contact the OP? By phone (with her own voice) or by email? It could just be that her email account has been compromised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.