Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

complete despair (gf stranded in Turkey due to stolen credit card)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

complete despair (gf stranded in Turkey due to stolen credit card)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by craigthemif
1. Some people have mentioned that a new credit card will be sent overnight. Every time I call my UK bank with a stolen card, or bank machine ate it, I am told that they will only send it to my home address in the UK. Maybe I need a new bank but the simple comment that the OP's partner's bank will expedite a new card or cover any hotel charges is simply not necessarily true.
You need to get a new bank

My UK bank once couriered me a replacement card to the US when mine fell into a gorge, and Amex has provided next-day service on two occasions (Asia and Europe.)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If American, I’d have recommended going to the Embassy in Ankara or the Consulate in Istanbul. A repatriation loan can be arranged, though understandably they’re a bit strict about these.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Completely agreed. The mocking of the OP is way out of line and hopefully bad karma will hit some of the mockers in due course.

Besides that, some of the more constructive comments have been garbage, or at least not universally applicable.

1. Some people have mentioned that a new credit card will be sent overnight. Every time I call my UK bank with a stolen card, or bank machine ate it, I am told that they will only send it to my home address in the UK. Maybe I need a new bank but the simple comment that the OP's partner's bank will expedite a new card or cover any hotel charges is simply not necessarily true.

2. Send money via Western Union. Every time I send money to myself or to somebody else, the ID checks are a real pain on both ends. Passport stolen? Good luck with getting a random Western Union in a foreign country/language to hand over money to you with nothing more than a name and maybe a transaction reference.

3. The government paying for your flight home? Hahahaha. Thousands of people would scam their governments if that were true.
1. I didn't say that AmEx or any other credit card company would "cover" (= pay for) hotel etc. expenses but rather that AmEx can arrange with the hotel to bill the charges to your card even if you don't yet have the replacement card for the hotel to swipe. It's a big difference.

However, the travel insurance provided with some credit cards might cover additional hotel nights etc. due to a lost/stolen passport for example.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You need to get a new bank

My UK bank once couriered me a replacement card to the US when mine fell into a gorge, and Amex has provided next-day service on two occasions (Asia and Europe.)
Right, not sure about the UK or Banks, but Amex has always provided next-day service whenever I've requested a replacement card anywhere in the world (or, at least, the places where I frequent). I'd imagine the V/MC associated with most Banks would often a similar service upon request.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Visconti
Right, not sure about the UK or Banks, but Amex has always provided next-day service whenever I've requested a replacement card anywhere in the world (or, at least, the places where I frequent). I'd imagine the V/MC associated with most Banks would often a similar service upon request.
Same experience with Amex, and a nice surprise it was!

I woke middle of the night to finish packing (yes, I need to work on that, ahem!), to find several emails about a laptop purchase across the country... scheduled for in store pickup... except I had been sleeping. The store "caught" the fraud, but those emails were a bit later, where "I" was told there would be a hold on the in store pickup. Next, Amex fraud was trying to reach me. I called them. They had already cancelled my card. Wonderful... EXCEPT I was leaving town in several hours, and my understanding at that time was they'd only FedEx/etc., replacement cards to home/billing address/etc.

Not so!
They asked where I would be staying, and told me that they'd send the replacement card to the Hotel Manager, who would be instructed to ask for very specific ID from me, including Passport and some other photo ID. No problem with that, of course.

I made the flight, and checked in. Early the next morning, a note was slipped under the hotel room door that a package had arrived for me and to contact Hotel Manager.
I showed my ID info, and was handed my new Amex Plat card.

We were pleased!

GC
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Single post, no return, questionable story, time to lock this up? Mod alerted.
Thunderroad and Often1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.