Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Access to aircraft closet

Old Jun 28, 19, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I was recently on a Delta Embraer 170 flying first class out of LGA. I very often travel with my keyboard, a musical instrument, and I ask if itís ok to put it in the closet. It fits standing up just fine and weighs about 20lb in its case. I ask because I think itís the polite thing to do, not because I thought permission was needed. This time the flight attendant answered my question with a resounding ďnoĒ. It caught me off guard, so I explained that it was a delicate musical instrument, and that I had literally just gotten off my connecting flight where they happily stored it in the closet. The flight attendant still said no. He explained that they werenít allowed to store passenger items there (what are coats if not passenger items?). I pressed a little harder for an explanation... and I was told it depended on the type of aircraft. Apparently this aircraft doesnít allow storing passenger items in the closet because of weight zone restrictions, and that the flight attendant himself would be fined a penalty of $5,000 if an FAA inspector were to come onboard and realize he had allowed me to store my keyboard in the closet.

And that brings me here: does anyone know what the actual rules are regarding storing passenger items in the aircraft closet? Does the FAA actually impose fines on flight attendants for breaking this rule? Has this happened to anyone before?

I couldnít find information online about this.

Thanks for your inputs

Last edited by Manuposs; Jun 28, 19 at 8:42 am Reason: Misspelling

Search this Thread