Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to earn miles via Egyptair Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Unable to earn miles via Egyptair Flights

I seem to have a tricky situation here and am hoping someone may have experienced a similar experience and could provide some advice.

Recently I took a trip to Egypt, booking Egypt Air (MS) flights throughout.

As a Premier Platinum member with United Airlines, I put that number in my bookings to 1. earn miles and 2. gain extra privileges as star alliance gold (primarily on the domestic trips).

However after I returned I realised that United only shows the miles for the domestic trips. MS tickets on Egyptair Metal but not the international lengths (which were MS flights on Etihad metal)
I emailed them and they told me that you only earn if the operator is Star Alliance (even if star alliance tickets the flights) so because the operator was Etihad i was out of luck.

I then tried Sinapore Airlines. however got the same response telling me they would only be willing to process the claim for the domestic flights

I then tried Etihad who replied that I can only claim if it is an EY number

Finally I decided to sign up for an Egypt Air plus account and attempted a retro claim there, to be prompted that due to the difference in flight date and membership date that the claim could not be processed.

So apart from the 2 short domestic trips, I have 4 international business class flights that no one will allow me to accrue miles etc from (including the operator or ticket provider)

Any suggestions? As I have never had an issue with mileage claims before with code share flights and am at a loss on what to do here,
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by subboy

Recently I took a trip to Egypt, booking Egypt Air (MS) flights throughout.

Any suggestions? As I have never had an issue with mileage claims before with code share flights and am at a loss on what to do here,
As United told you, it's quite standard procedure with Star Alliance that both the marketing and operating carrier must be *A members. You seem well aware that you weren't actually flying with MS but instead with EY.

Since neither Etihad nor Egyptair are inclined to retro-credit your miles, you have simply learned a lesson to avoid codeshare flights in the future. MS is perhaps the only one who might relent if you persist, but I question what value you would gain from a few thousand orphaned MS miles anyhow...
nancypants, SK AAR and subboy like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I second this. Are you sure it is worth the hassle you have gone through so far (inquiring with at least 4 carriers!) to get a few miles/points for the EY flight? How much time will you spend chasing a few miles/points? If this was a dirt cheap ticket, most likely you will receive close to zero miles/points anyway. I suggest to let it go/move on (and lesson learned not to book flights with a Star Alliance carrier but operated by non-Star Alliance member)
Yoshi212 and subboy like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I second this. Are you sure it is worth the hassle you have gone through so far (inquiring with at least 4 carriers!) to get a few miles/points for the EY flight? How much time will you spend chasing a few miles/points? If this was a dirt cheap ticket, most likely you will receive close to zero miles/points anyway. I suggest to let it go/move on (and lesson learned not to book flights with a Star Alliance carrier but operated by non-Star Alliance member)
Yes, it is a lesson learned for sure..
As for the points, all were business class including 2 long haul (split into 2 flights each direction) which through most carriers would attract some nice earning of points.
I have certainly given up the chase, and it seems like via my search/requests and the 2 replies that its pretty much a miss.

Was the first time I have used a carrier with codeshare that does not allow any points to be earned by the selling provider, Thought maybe there was a silver lining somewhere but alas that is not the case.

I appreciate this and the previous response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.