Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Information Desk

Help: United partner EVA Air cancelled their leg

Old Jun 24, 19, 2:53 am
Original Poster

We are flying from Taiwan to NYC using United Miles. We booked it a while back. First leg is on EVA to NRT. But EVA Airlines flight crew are on strike. I just got a text saying my flight is cancelled and I should go to EVA's website for more information (Website is useless other than saying your flight is cancelled. yah).

We called United. And guess what? They were totally useless! At least United is consistent!

So who is actually responsible for getting us from A to B? United has already dodged the responsibility.

If we don't get to Tokyo then we can't make our other leg to JFK (on ANA!). And there are no decent flights out of here (school is out!).

Any suggestions? I am heading down to the local EVA office but in the year I have been in Taiwan, I have discovered CS is something that just doesn't exist here. Kind of like United Air!
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
UA is responsible as it is an UA ticket.

Your best chance is to ask UA to put you on TPE-SFO and then SFO-EWR. With the BR strike, finding a seat on NH will be very difficult.
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:08 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Keep after United - escalate to a supervisor, try their Twitter to get attention, whatever works. Just politely but firmly reiterate that it's a UA ticket for travel TPE-JFK. As stated above, it's UA's responsibility to get you TPE-JFK. It may be a different routing or time, but that's irrelevant to their responsibility. For example there is a UA flight TPE-SFO, then they could route you to NYC from there. (No idea what's available, just an illustration.) If you want you could research some available Star Alliance routings before calling to spoon-feed a lazy agent some workable solutions.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 19, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Hey, EVA came through! I was dreading going down to their office (their phone lines were jammed) - but I dragged myself down there. I grabbed a number and waited. Being the only non-local there, the manager grabbed my case. My flight was KHH NRW JFK. And it was just the KHH NRT that was on EVA.

I received a text saying my flight was cancelled. I immediately looked up other KHH NRT flights. JAL and CI had flights that would work! But by the time I arrived at their offices those flights were already gone (taken by EVA for other passengers I am sure).

The EVA manager went back and forth to his office trying to find a suitable flight. He came up with TPE JFK on EVA (not all EVA flights were cancelled). And they bought us train tickets on the high speed rail (my kids love the HSR) to Taipei. I am so glad they fixed it as I dreaded calling United again.

Thanks everyone.

UA - They only offered to CANCEL our reservation and refund the miles. There were no mileage flights left (except 80K one way). We had hell booking these flights. UA showed flights available but when we clicked to buy we got a stupid error message (that didn't say why there was an error). So on the phone we went.

And then the same issue when we booked our return flights. It clearly shows 4 seats available - but wouldn't go through. So we booked two people first. Then we had to call UA. We had to change the age of my son to be an adult, book a ticket, then have UA add it to our reservation. Wife never got a ticket in the end (she is happy as she wanted to stop over in Korea anyway). Unfortunately the main leg is on UA instead of ANA. The last time I took a UA for NRT SFO it was a joke. It was an old plane with no in-seat entertainment. But you could use UA's App to connect to their system and watch movies, etc. But after 20 minutes of trying to connect one of our 10 devices, I was informed that it only can handle 50 devices. So only 50 people out of 300 had anything. Further, once a device has connected it cannot be unconnected - so no chance to connect while the original 50 are sleeping.
Kacee and JDiver like this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 6:26 am

Programs: TK Elite
I'm glad that this has been solved. It has been reported in other threads that BR indeed takes action and also rebooks pax on award tickets of other carriers but reissuing of the tickets can be problematic (BR will leave it to the issuer of the ticket to reticket the reservation and if booked into revenue class (because no award availability available) this could be an issue if the ticket issuer hesitate to reissue when rebooked into revenue class
Old Jun 26, 19, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by KimchiExpress View Post

UA - They only offered to CANCEL our reservation and refund the miles. There were no mileage flights left (except 80K one way).
This is the standard reply from UA or other carriers when traveling on award tickets. Rebooking is only possible if award availability exists - if no award availability the only option left is to cancel/refund. No way the FFP will rebook into revenue class.
Old Jun 26, 19, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
This is the standard reply from UA or other carriers when traveling on award tickets. Rebooking is only possible if award availability exists - if no award availability the only option left is to cancel/refund. No way the FFP will rebook into revenue class.
However, UA can open up award seats on flights that are operated by UA. This is what they should do, waiving legal routing rules if needed during IROPs. Getting (low/saver, presumably) award seats on partner carriers is indeed problematic.
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:01 am
Original Poster

I have a confirmed flight on EVA to JFK.

And the first leg of my original reservation on EVA is gone but the second leg on ANA still exists. And ANA is sending emails about the upcoming flight,. Gosh, what to do? Call ANA?

I contacted my guy at EVA that rebooked my flight and he said "The old flight was booked by ANA, therefore we won't move it out. But the ticket is changing to BR flight surely."

Hmmm...
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:05 am

I don't think you need to react to the emails of ANA. As soon as your ticket is reissued (did you get a new ticket No?) the ANA leg will be without ticket (aka unticketed) and will have no importance /be ignored by ANA.
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think you need to react to the emails of ANA. As soon as your ticket is reissued (did you get a new ticket No?) the ANA leg will be without ticket (aka unticketed) and will have no importance /be ignored by ANA.
I'd also worry that calling ANA could just confuse the situation: too many cooks spoil the stew. Just check that you have a matching ticket and reservation for the new flights you want.
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:43 am
Original Poster

MSPeconomist - I think you are right. Who knows what will happen if someone at ANA or UA start clicking away?

I have a new ticket on EVA - seat assignments and all.
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by KimchiExpress View Post
Hey, EVA came through! I was dreading going down to their office (their phone lines were jammed)...
Really glad this was worked out for you by BR.
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:44 am

There are many other pax in the same situation (award tickets or not) - an extensive thread about cancellation and rebookings due the strike can found in Eva Air forum.
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Well, I made it.

Flight was OK. F.A.s were like robots.

Thanks!
javabytes likes this.
Old Jul 11, 19, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
For a schedule change in advance, this is true. But for a cancellation that occurs at time of travel, they can and will rebook into revenue classes if necessary.

Search this Thread