FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Agent Price Increase A380 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1974509-agent-price-increase-a380.html)

Gina Zivkovic Jun 18, 2019 2:55 am

Agent Price Increase A380

2 weeks ago I had reserved a flight with an agent flying Etihad Syd to Paris First Class on the A380. I went to pay for the flight and he has now increased the price by $3000, I checked on the Etihad website and it says the flight is full. Is there any way to get it for the original price I was quoted or at a lower price,

Yoshi212 Jun 18, 2019 7:06 am

You reserved the flight? or did you get a quote for a flight from a travel agent and then 2 weeks later expected the quote to be relevant?

MSPeconomist Jun 18, 2019 7:09 am

Was this a real live human travel agent? From a reputable company or perhaps some consolidator? Or was it an OLTA, where you perhaps reaserved space on the flight but it wasn't ticketed and the price quote might not have been based on real time availability? Another possibility is that you're dealing with a mileage broker.

SK AAR Jun 18, 2019 8:22 am

2 weeks? It sounds like you never had a reservation or it was deleted. Few airlines will allow a unticketed reservation for 2 weeks. Maybe the reservation was deleted due to ticket not being issued and when the TA made a new reservation the original fare class was no longer available.

LondonElite Jun 18, 2019 12:12 pm

The agent didn’t increase the price, the seats at the fare you were quoted sold out, so now you have to pay a higher fare. Simples.

Efrem Jun 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gina Zivkovic (Post 31213935)
2 weeks ago I had reserved a flight with an agent flying Etihad Syd to Paris First Class on the A380. I went to pay for the flight and he has now increased the price by $3000 ...

Welcome to FT, Gina!

This suggests you didn't pay for the flight when you "reserved" it. If you didn't pay, no TA will hold a "yes, I think I want that flight" request for two weeks. They only way they can do that is to pay the airline. That would mean (a) tying up their money until you feel like paying, in this case two weeks later but they can't be sure it will be that soon; and (b) could leave them on the hook for the $3,000 if you change your mind. The only way to be sure of getting a fare you like is to buy it when you see it, or in the U.S.to put it on hold for 24 hours and to buy it within that period. If you can't do that for any reason, such as uncertainty about the need for this trip, you run the risk of the fare not being available when you eventually can. Sorry, but that's the airline business. You can sometimes avoid the problem by buying a refundable fare, but refundable fares tend not to be very attractive (and are usually available until the flight leaves).

Nha Trang Day Tours Jun 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Maybe the reservation was deleted due to ticket not being issued and when the TA made a new reservation the original fare class was no longer available.