Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

how to fly to Jordan with Citi Thank you points?

Old Jun 12, 19, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA

New to Citi TYP so appreciate help getting started. Which transfer partner will I be able to book USA to Amman or Aqaba, Jordan with greatest likelihood of being able to book an award ticket?
For example, I see that Turkish airlines flies to AMM or AQJ and is Star Alliance (as well as EVA, Avianca, EVA, Singapore, which are all current Citi transfer partners). So do I go on United's website to look for award availability on dates I'm interested and look for a Turkish airline flight? Then do I go to Turkish Airlines website and put the flight on hold and then transfer from Citi to Turkish airlines? Can I even put a flight on hold with zero balance (until I transfer the points?)
I know that I can search for OneWorld availability on BA, and Star Alliance on UA, and Skyteam on KLM, but will all award availability show for the partner airlines? Or do I need to go to each airline to search? I've seen flyermiler, which was super helpful but not entirely accurate (for example, it said Singapore airlines has service, but SA route map says no)
Assuming I have multiple options, does Royal Jordanian (oneworld) has the best im-flight service of Citi TYP partners? Also, I want to stay away from Avianca due to potential of bankruptcy.
If anyone has booked an award flight to Jordan using TYP, I'd appreciate learning of your routing
I will be flying economy, BTW
Thanks all
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:37 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
This guide will help you: https://upgradedpoints.com/citi-than...sfer-partners/
Using the UA search to do 1-way searches is a good general guide to finding award availability. UA, DL/AF & BA are the go to searches for their respective alliances/partners but there are plenty of quirks across the systems.
Award Hacker will tell you what is possible for redemptions using your TY points. Then you have to see what is available. I'm unsure about TK holding tickets so sometimes it's better to use a transfer partner that can transfer quickly & confirm booking.
RJ is an ok product but not going to blow your mind.
Old Jun 12, 19, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tiburontucson View Post
<snip>
So do I go on United's website to look for award availability on dates I'm interested and look for a Turkish airline flight? Then do I go to Turkish Airlines website and put the flight on hold and then transfer from Citi to Turkish airlines? Can I even put a flight on hold with zero balance (until I transfer the points?)
<snip>
With awards you always book directly with the ffp where you have the ff miles, no matter which airline you will fly. Award availability is not always the same between different ffp's.

The ability to place an award hold when you do not have sufficient ff miles varies between ffp's.

Some ffp's take a dim view of people moving ff miles into a new ff account, and then booking awards.
Read and understand the award rules and the award booking process.

Citi TYP Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline transfer partners
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
Thank you Yoshi212 and Mwenezi. Very helpful links.
On TK website: I see TK award availability from major US hubs e.g. SFO to AMM via IST for 32000 miles one way ( TK 080 connecting to TK812) , but nothing avail when I enter my departure airport (TUS) obviously since TK doesn't fly from Tucson. But on UA website, I see TUS to SFO, then same TK flights as seen on TK for 42,500 miles to get me all the way. So, if I transfer Citi TYP to TK, will TK be able to add United segment to the PNR since it's a partner? Hope so. I will call and check.
Old Jun 12, 19, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thank you Yoshi212 and Mwenezi. Very helpful links.
On TK website: I see TK award availability from major US hubs e.g. SFO to AMM via IST for 32000 miles one way ( TK 080 connecting to TK812) , but nothing avail when I enter my departure airport (TUS) obviously since TK doesn't fly from Tucson. But on UA website, I see TUS to SFO, then same TK flights as seen on TK for 42,500 miles to get me all the way. So, if I transfer Citi TYP to TK, will TK be able to add United segment to the PNR since it's a partner? Hope so. I will call and check.
Suggest you review this recent article which summarizes the ins and outs of redeeming TK miles:

https://upgradedpoints.com/best-ways...-miles-smiles/

Keep in mind that Etihad -- which serves AMM via AUH -- is also a Citi Thank You transfer partner.
Old Jun 12, 19, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..So, if I transfer Citi TYP to TK, will TK be able to add United segment to the PNR since it's a partner? Hope so. I will call and check.
Who knows?
Does the UA ffp have award avaliblity for those flights?
TK may or may not have UA domestic award availability.
What are the TK award rules for USA domsetic & TK long haul flights? Do not assume the rules are the same as USA ffp's.

A question for the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...es-smiles-641/