Wiki Posts
Search

HKG to HND One Way

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA ex-1K, AA, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry
HKG to HND One Way

I'm looking into a one way cheap flight from HKG to HND (or NRT but HND is closer to Tokyo) in November with check-in luggage allowance. What airline and cheapest options are there? I heard that HK Express is the cheapest option. I will probably have 2 check in luggage since I'm doing an open-jaw flight from US to HKG and then NRT to US. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Does HK Express have one way deals btw? Should I wait till there's a deal or book it now (trip is 6 months away)?
Old May 16, 2019, 2:59 pm

Cough, it's possible to book all of this on one ticket/fare

Usa-hkg
Hkg-tokyo
Tokyo-usa

Last edited by paperwastage; May 16, 2019 at 3:05 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a segment that is a great use of miles, if you have any. Recall that UA can be used on ANA and BA/AA can be used on JAL.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I'll need to look into award miles then... I already bought the open jaw so the only leg I need to get is btw HKG and HND.

*UPDATE* UA does not work well because there's a connection and the entire trip takes over 11 hrs.

Last edited by HKQT; May 16, 2019 at 3:19 pm Reason: update
Old May 16, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

AA miles could be used on JAL or Cathay ( Cathay also has routes via Taipei to Japan)

Alternatively you could consider Osaka then get the Shinkansen bullet train ( and send the luggage by luggage delivery service)- how long do you have in Japan.

Regards

TBS
Old May 16, 2019, 4:32 pm

There's also HKG to NGO Chubu Centrair.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:22 pm

There's also Vanilla and Jetstar to Narita.

I'd be incllined to keep checking until there's a sale, probably two to three months beforehand.

Don't forget to follow developments with the Cathay-HKE merger. It's not set in stone.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:35 pm

So if you have miles that can do CX or JL they have direct. UA you should be able to book NH tickets with your miles
Old May 16, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by HKQT
I'll need to look into award miles then... I already bought the open jaw so the only leg I need to get is btw HKG and HND.

*UPDATE* UA does not work well because there's a connection and the entire trip takes over 11 hrs.
depending on your existing ticket/fare, it may be cheaper to pay the change fee (usually $120) to convert the open jaw into the routing I suggested

(and you get 2 bags + carryon included)
Old May 17, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

My flight was cheap $745 for the open jaw trip so highly doubt I can convert to the routing you suggested. I do have AA miles but saving them for another business class trip to Asia next year. Yes, I'm monitoring the HKE CX merger right now. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the HKE tickets in 3 months.
jib71 likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:47 pm

HK Express is often under USD 100 one way (part of that is taxes and fees ex HKG) but you would need to add another USD 60 or so for checked baggage allowance and an assigned seat.

A better option is to gather up 10k Asia Miles or BA Avios and look for an award on either Cathay Pacific or JAL. You'll still get stuck with taxes and fees though, and you might have to fly into NRT. If you plan to get the JR train pass then you have more flexibility on which airport you fly into, as everything is pretty close with the Shinkansen.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKQT

Must be your specific date, look at +/- 1 day at least.. I've done TYO-HKG and vice versa awards several times on nonstop ANA flights. Also, Amex MR, if you have them, can be converted directly to ANA and ANA usually has better award availability on its own site.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:58 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Peach Aviation, a Japanese LCC, flies HKG-KIX twice a day. It's not open for booking in November yet, but random dates in June look like they are HKD 990/1320/1580 for 0/1/2 checked bags (USD 127/169/202). The shinkansen to Toyko will then be another ~$130.

I've flown on Peach (domestic only) and it's pretty reliable and comfortable, especially given that it's a LCC. Full-service carriers from SE Asia to Japan tend to be expensive in general, especially for one-way flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.