Travel Hacking Books?

Old May 11, 19, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Travel Hacking Books?

Any recommendations on books? I get the whole signing up credit cards to get the points and miles.
But I need more information on how to search and redeeming for award flights with your points.
Old May 11, 19, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tenesmus83 View Post
Any recommendations on books? I get the whole signing up credit cards to get the points and miles.
But I need more information on how to search and redeeming for award flights with your points.
No need to buy a book when you can read Flyertalk for free
Look the sub forun of your ffp's & credit cards
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airl...-programs-374/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...?daysprune=100
Old May 12, 19, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Searching for award space and redeeming for awards is a far cry from what many people would consider "travel hacking".

Having had a book published myself called Travel Hacker - Spanish language only though - I am pretty well placed to inform you that a book isn't the right format to learn from. Between the time of writing and the time it gets published, far too many changes occur.

Flyertalk is a good place to learn. Some blogs are good at the basics. Or you can pay for a service that helps you - either experts who do it all, or something like Awardex that do the searches for you, but leave you to book what you find.
Old May 12, 19, 10:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I get the whole signing up credit cards to get the points and miles.
You may want to consided attending the FlyerTalk annual Chicago seminar which this year will be on October 18-20. There is no thread for this year’s seminar yet but you can read about last year’s seminar in this thread:

9th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 19 - 21, 2018
Old May 12, 19, 12:04 pm

Twenty years ago, I went point/status hunting. It was very difficult, tbh spectacularly unsuccessful .. until I got a job that involved extensive travel by air. Then everything fell into place and made sense.
Twenty years ago, the points game was much easier for the consumer and still it was very difficult - and expensive - to play without the "subsidy" of paid corporate travel. Today, I am going to say it's nearly impossible to achieve the kinds of things you'll read about here without a travel-based job. It will be cheaper to just buy J or F when you fly, if you're not flying twice a week or more. Pick a carrier which suits your travel and get the associated CC. You can likely get to the second or third tier if you fly LH three or four times a year. Beyond that, where the real benefits get going, is realistically beyond the typical traveler.
Good luck and enjoy traveling, but if you really want to play the game to win, my best advice is to get one of those jobs. Then use FT with a purpose. It's actually a terrific resource.
​​​​​​

Search this Thread