LH First, LH Biz, or BA First?

LH First, LH Biz, or BA First?

Old May 11, 19, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA EP
Question LH First, LH Biz, or BA First?

I can fly

BA A380 1st class BOS>LHR>CDG for 69k miles + $850 USD
LH 747 1st class ORD>FRA>CDG for 70k miles + $850~ USD BUT, I don't know if it will open up (but seems 80% likely it will before my hold on the above option expires)
LH 747 Biz ORD>FRA>CDG for 54k miles + $40 USD

I think LH First is probably the best overall product here, BUT

1. I love the Cathay 1st lounge in LHR (though obviously the LH 1st class terminal is amazing) and I already have BA locked in whereas I may or may not be able to lock in LH 1st.
2. (this is the biggest one) on such a short flight, is it really worth $800 more to fly BA or LH first when LH Biz has a solid biz class product? I am used to flying super longhaul flights (DFW/IAH > DOH, LAX > NRT, DOH > CPT, etc...) so it feels dumb to be spending a lot on BA or LH first when I can book QSuites for $2,500 r/t YUL > CPT (where I go several times a year).

inb4: yes, $850 for first class is a great deal any day of the week. However, I've flown BA and LH biz both a ton and their 1st class products just don't look all that impressive (have flown 1st Etihad, frequent QR and Singapore biz customer, etc...and so seems it would be worth saving $800 for a 6.5 hour flight and putting that towards a nicer hotel or another biz class flight). And yes, the LH hard product is not the best, but it is fine for me for a 6.5 hour flight.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum!
Old May 11, 19, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
How long is your connection in FRA?
If time permits and you are in F on LH, you are probably aware that gets you access to the FCT there. If you have not been in that lounge before it is well worth the walk over there.
Great food, great service, private security screening and they will drive you to your plane directly from the terminal.
mdriess likes this.
Old May 11, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
If you have a long layover maybe you can make the argument for LH F with FCT.

In my book though TATL flights from the East Coast / DTW / ORD are too short to enjoy F. If you stay up for the full meal (to really maximize the experience) you end up with no sleep.

A comfortable J seat that you can sleep on straight away is always my preference (and if you do LH J you can get dinner in the Polaris lounge at ORD first and then just get a night cap and go to sleep).

If you can I'd save the F for the daytime return flight when you can actually maximize the experience.
mdriess and aeroman380 like this.
Old May 12, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA EP
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
If you have a long layover maybe you can make the argument for LH F with FCT.

In my book though TATL flights from the East Coast / DTW / ORD are too short to enjoy F. If you stay up for the full meal (to really maximize the experience) you end up with no sleep.

A comfortable J seat that you can sleep on straight away is always my preference (and if you do LH J you can get dinner in the Polaris lounge at ORD first and then just get a night cap and go to sleep).

If you can I'd save the F for the daytime return flight when you can actually maximize the experience.
This was exactly my thinking -- I was worried that with a relatively short flight + wanting to enjoy my time in France as soon as I arrive (which would mean sleeping on the plane) that I should book in J class.

I actually ended up booking SAS J class from BOS>CPH>CDG. It was 63,000 Avianca LifeMiles + $44 USD; I transferred Citi to LifeMiles which transferred instantly.

Thanks to both of you for the advice! I'll definitely do LH, but on a longer flight.

The LifeMiles website had tech issues, so I had to call and book; I'd heard terrible things about LifeMiles' call center but I have had no issues (but, until I'm on the plane we'll see I suppose, though SAS is showing the ticket confirmed)

PS - For anyone looking, there is great ORD LH First availability in May; I wasn't seeing it in LifeMiles, but Aeroplan consistently had seats for midweek LH F flights. BA has great availability in both J and F out of Boston (not through AA but through Avios; Chase is doing a 30% transfer bonus to Avios right now as well), as does Lufthansa in J out of Boston. Final destination for all those is CDG, but I imagine anywhere in Europe should be fairly doable. I was thinking with summer it would be hard to find something, but availability was actually pretty great if you don't mind a positioning flight.
Duke787 likes this.
Old May 12, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: KL Platinum, LA Black, A3 Gold, BA Silver, IB Oro
LH biz sucks big time BUT 747 upper deck is always a joy. Would go for BA F probably this time.
Old May 12, 19, 9:01 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's not that long a flight!

I'd just take LH Business and get an inside aisle seat on the main deck for all aisle access.

Unlike some snobs I find LH Business perfecly acceptable for TATL flights.

Search this Thread