Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Washington DC hotel ideas. Oy vey, too many choices!

Old May 8, 19, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Need to be in DC 5/24-5/26, somewhere central, if possible. Just me on the trip. Flying into DCA from PIT. Budget up to $250/night. Too many choices, Iím lost. Iíd like to avoid places with resort fees. Iíd like to be near to places to eat and somewhere thatís alive. Iíve been looking on TA and other OTA for ideas, but planning on booking from the hotel site. BF said Iím over-thinking this. Main reason to visit: US Holocaust Museum.
Old May 8, 19, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman View Post
Need to be in DC 5/24-5/26, somewhere central, if possible. Just me on the trip. Flying into DCA from PIT. Budget up to $250/night. Too many choices, Iím lost. Iíd like to avoid places with resort fees. Iíd like to be near to places to eat and somewhere thatís alive. Iíve been looking on TA and other OTA for ideas, but planning on booking from the hotel site. BF said Iím over-thinking this. Main reason to visit: US Holocaust Museum.
Have you checked the D.C. hotel deals offered at travelzoo.com?
CosmosHuman likes this.
Old May 8, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

I will check. Thank you.
Old May 8, 19, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you don't have status with any chain, start by looking at options near the holocuast museum or on a direct metro line to it. Special requirements such as an indoor pool would narrow down the list. If you're planning to take the metro from/to DCA, look for a hotel close to a station, although IME a connection is usually needed.

Otherwise, what do you like? Georgetown is fun and lively, but has no metro. For more quiet upscale neighborhoods with good restaurants, I like the West End, Washington Circle, and Foggy Bottom areas. Embassy Row and the area around Dupont Circle has a very international feel.

I'd try to figure out which hotels are relatively underpriced for your dates and try to pick a place where you're getting a relatively good deal for a very good hotel.
Old May 9, 19, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
If you can get a rate in your budget (it happens on the weeknds) the MO is probably the most luxurious hotel to the museum. The Wharf is a new development that opened closer to the waterfront, and has some nice restaurants and new hotels. Otherwise I'd stay somewhere near Metro Center, you would be close to great restaurants, Shaw and the museum.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Georgetown is fun and lively
That's probably the least accurate description of Georgetown I've ever heard.
Old May 9, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I ended up booking at the Marriott Courtyard, the new one by the convention center/ downtown. The MO was over my budget, but looks beautiful.
Old May 9, 19, 2:14 pm

I ended up booking at the Marriott Courtyard, the new one by the convention center/ downtown. The MO was over my budget, but looks beautiful.
The MO was great and close to Holocaust Museum. We were there last year. But this year we stayed at the Hyatt at the Wharf. Last year the Wharf just opened there was barely anything there. This year it is very lively. The food is great and you can still walk to the Holocaust Museum or any place at the Mall. I think I paid about $250 a night at the Hyatt vs $400+ at the MO. Also at the Wharf, you can take a water taxi to Georgetown or to National City... actually cheaper than Uber for 1 person.
Old May 9, 19, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Update. After reading reviews I decided to switch hotels. Now staying at JW Marriott. The Marriott Courtyard seems to be in a sketchy area. I’ll be out late at night and need to feel safe. Please don’t shoot the messenger. Kudos to the very professional CS agent I spoke with who assisted me in making the choice. She took her time to go over all the choices. My second choice was Mayflower, but the JW is closer to where I need to be. In all my years of travel, I have never spoke to anyone who valued me as a customer, even though this is truly my first stay at a Marriott and a new member of the Bonvoy club.

Old May 13, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Update. After reading reviews I decided to switch hotels. Now staying at JW Marriott. The Marriott Courtyard seems to be in a sketchy area. I’ll be out late at night and need to feel safe. Please don’t shoot the messenger. Kudos to the very professional CS agent I spoke with who assisted me in making the choice. She took her time to go over all the choices. My second choice was Mayflower, but the JW is closer to where I need to be. In all my years of travel, I have never spoke to anyone who valued me as a customer, even though this is truly my first stay at a Marriott and a new member of the Bonvoy club.

There is nothing sketchy about the location of the Courtyard. Unless there are long lines at the new Apple Store that opened a few blocks away this weekend. If you're going to be "out late", you are more likely to be in the Shaw/Logan Circle area, as that's where most of the popular bars and restaurants are these days, than the JW Marriott, which is popular with White House visitors. You will likely end up Ubering from the JW to where the Courtyard is, unless you are spending your nights with well-done steak and ketchup.

Any reviews that suggest the area around the Courtyard are "sketchy" are probably from people who have never been to a city before, or are afraid of people of color.

Search this Thread