Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai 144 hours VISA FREE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Shanghai 144 hours VISA FREE

I am planning a trip with the family this coming November and want to get some clarification on the 144 hours VISA FREE policy from China.

Flying non-stop from LAX to PVG, PVG to BKK, BKK to LAX. Going to stay in PVG for 6 days, so I can skip the process of obtaining VISA. However, one of the requirement is that I must have a ticket flying out of Shanghai to another country.

MY question is the following:

Booking multi-city flight from LAX to PVG & BKK to LAX on Chase UR, since the rate is quite favorable. Then, I am going to purchase separate ticket from PVG to BKK. By purchasing a separate ticket from PVG to BKK instead of combining in the multi-city flight, will this impose any issues for me? Will I be rejected for the 144 hours VISA free policy?

Any help is greatly appreciate.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Technically you qualify on separate tickets. The issue is the airlines are so wary of being fined that they have trained front end employees to refuse boarding to anyone that could potentially be rejected even if the basis for this isn’t real. There is another thread that this will be folded into where there have been many stories of being denied because the agents wont read past the first two lines of TIMATIC to the details of what qualifies.

I went in November and decided to get the visa to avoid issues. To clarify, your return does not connect in China, correct?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Master thread (where this thread will get moved to)
---->China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/
Old May 1, 2019, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Technically you qualify on separate tickets. The issue is the airlines are so wary of being fined that they have trained front end employees to refuse boarding to anyone that could potentially be rejected even if the basis for this isn’t real. There is another thread that this will be folded into where there have been many stories of being denied because the agents wont read past the first two lines of TIMATIC to the details of what qualifies.

I went in November and decided to get the visa to avoid issues. To clarify, your return does not connect in China, correct?
Return won't connect in China. It will be BKK to ICN to LAX.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Are you doing PVG-BKK-LAX or PVG-BKK, few days in BKK then BKK-LAX? If the latter then you should have no issues. Print out TIMATIC and highlight the section relevant section in case you need to Prove your point at the airport.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pogonation
Are you doing PVG-BKK-LAX or PVG-BKK, few days in BKK then BKK-LAX? If the latter then you should have no issues. Print out TIMATIC and highlight the section relevant section in case you need to Prove your point at the airport.
The latter, as I will be staying for a week in BKK.

Thanks for the help!
Old May 1, 2019, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your PVG-BKK flight cannot connect in mainland China. Nonstops are obviously good, but connecting in HKG or TPE is also fine.

Most nonstops are pretty cheap, but flying 9C or HO on a red eye is not so fun.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ponickka
The latter, as I will be staying for a week in BKK.

Thanks for the help!
Then you should be fine. I did TWOV in CAN recently on a MAN-CAN//BKK-MAN WY ticket with a separate TG CAN-BKK. No issues apart from WY making me sign a waiver saying it's not their fault if I am refused entry to China.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Your LAX=PVG must also be nonstop, with no stops (direct flight) or connection in mainland China or in Korea.

There's a big authoritative sticky thread on this in the China destination forum.

Note also that you cannot leave the Shanghai area while in China if you do the 144 hour TWOV.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Your LAX=PVG must also be nonstop, with no stops (direct flight) or connection in mainland China or in Korea.

There's a big authoritative sticky thread on this in the China destination forum.

Note also that you cannot leave the Shanghai area while in China if you do the 144 hour TWOV.
The "Shanghai area" currently includes all of Jiangsu and Zhejiang, and you can come and go from different cities.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Yes as stated you can fly out from NKG, WUX, HGH, etc if fares are more favorable and you're checking out other areas (all highly worthwhile destinations).
Old May 24, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I found a flight from PVG to HKT (layover in Hong Kong) via CX. Will this cause any issue for the 144 hours VISA? I read in multiple articles that Hong Kong for the purpose of Visa, is counted as a different country.

Anyone with experience to this flight or schedule? I am booking a one way flight from PVG to HKT (hong kong layover) and want to ensure the layover is allowed and in accordance to the 144 VISA policy.
Thank you!
Old May 24, 2019, 5:17 pm

1. There are no 144 hour visas
2. You can transit without a visa as long as you come directly from one country, and go directly to a different country
3. In spite of the fact that HK is part of China, it counts as a different country for this purpose
Old May 24, 2019, 5:36 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by moondog
1. There are no 144 hour visas
2. You can transit without a visa as long as you come directly from one country, and go directly to a different country
3. In spite of the fact that HK is part of China, it counts as a different country for this purpose
Right, it is called a "Temporary Entry Permit" but it is a sticker they put in your passport like any other visa.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
Right, it is called a "Temporary Entry Permit" but it is a sticker they put in your passport like any other visa.
Showing up and asking for VOA is a recipe for trouble because they don't offer such, unless prearranged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.