Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

US to Europe, Africa, and back on points question

Old Apr 22, 19, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Have done extensive looking around already but there's not a lot of write ups about west africa/Accra in particular and feel that I'm missing out potential savings on booking an award flight. I have AA (~70k), Delta (~200k), United (~35k), Marriott (450k) and UR (190k) points available.

LAX-Europe (BHD, EDI, LHR, or DUB). Jun 26-Jul 1. Business class strongly preferred.
So far found availability on AA for 57.5k in biz to all but Dublin but usually 2 stops on the way and not sure if I prefer that vs just going more direct in econ and saving the miles? Plenty of availability in econ on various avenues for 30k or so.

Will be flying MXP-ACC Jul 10. Economy is likely but business preferred.
Best options I'm seeing for economy are UR portal for 16k (MXP-Porto-Lisbon-ACC) which seems like a risk to lose my bags and I'll be all over Ghana so getting them might be challenging to get them if so or 28-31k for good flights. Alternatively there's econ on united for 30k + $41 or biz class for 65k-70k on flying blue, delta and air canada but all have $200-$300 in fees.

ACC-LAX flexible to Jul 29-31. Business class.
Best I'm really seeing is United for 80k + ~$200 in taxes and fees. Operated by SAA or TAP.
Delta is asking 230k and Aeroplan is asking $75 + ~$300 in fees.
I know there is a sweet spot out of Dakar on Virgin Atlantic but I don't think it'd be easy to position myself/may take up just as many points to get there to make that happen but maybe I'm missing something?

Any sweet spots I'm missing here - particularly on the ACC-LAX leg? Also any other creative ways to look at getting to Europe?

Thanks for the input!

Search this Thread