Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Full refundable ticket for "onward flight required"

Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Didn't know where to post this, so sorry for that.

I've purchased a 1 way ticket for my daughter Houston to Cebu(Philippines). She's born in the PI, but is holding a US passport (only) so I'm concerned that the airline and/or PI Immigration my ask for a return ticket. I've had issues with ticket agents and PI immigration regarding the same issue. One never knows, depending on ticket counter agents and depending on how the immigration agent is feeling that day. At 13, I don't want her to have to deal with any issues.

I'd like to buy a fully refundable ticket for her so I can get my money back on the unused ticket. I don't want to make any mistakes and have seen varying opinions here as to whether this is possible, with which carriers, etc...

Please advise. Which carrier to buy from departing CEB (destination does not matter)? How to ensure a fully refundable ticket?
Can I get a refund without the physical ticket if I buy for her with my Bank of America travel rewards card? or is there a better way? She does not have mileage, but I do, on Delta.

Thanks,
Allen
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:37 pm

A throwaway ticket on the cheapest route you can find may be simpler, even though there is a cost involved. There are also fake ticket generators if you want to risk that.
moretsky99 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ft101
A throwaway ticket on the cheapest route you can find may be simpler, even though there is a cost involved. There are also fake ticket generators if you want to risk that.
Agree, You can buy a CEB-SIN ticket for $40.

nancypants and moretsky99 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't forget that she must be admissible with her travel documents to the next destination. (For example, a ticket to a place that requires a visa in advance would not work unless she has that visa.) There could even in principle be a further hassle if the next destination requires an onward ticket for admission......
moretsky99 and smc333 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ft101
Don't even think of trying a fake ticket for a kid traveling alone.
moretsky99 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
When/is she returning to the US? Or wherever she is traveling next - is she planning on staying there indefinitely?
The issue usually is that the airline wants to make sure the person is admissible to the country (eg won't exceed whatever time limit for visitors without a special visa).
garykung and moretsky99 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A refundable, onward/return ticket to a destination where the person doesn't require a visa to enter and has prima facie evidence of admissibility -- probably meaning US passport and a bank card with enough means to buy a refundable ticket onward/return home -- is generally more than sufficient and would generally work just fine.
moretsky99 and smc333 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by estnet
When/is she returning to the US? Or wherever she is traveling next - is she planning on staying there indefinitely?
The issue usually is that the airline wants to make sure the person is admissible to the country (eg won't exceed whatever time limit for visitors without a special visa).
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A refundable, onward/return ticket to a destination where the person doesn't require a visa to enter and has prima facie evidence of admissibility -- probably meaning US passport and a bank card with enough means to buy a refundable ticket onward/return home -- is generally more than sufficient and would generally work just fine.
In other word, at the minimum (and the safest), your daughter should have a ticket for MNL-GUM.
moretsky99 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by garykung
In other word, at the minimum (and the safest), your daughter should have a ticket for MNL-GUM.
A MNL-BKK or MNL-SIN ticket would generally work out for being safe for travel to MNL on a US passport.
smc333 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.