FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Full refundable ticket for "onward flight required" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1965668-full-refundable-ticket-onward-flight-required.html)

moretsky99 Apr 16, 2019 8:44 am

Full refundable ticket for "onward flight required"

Didn't know where to post this, so sorry for that.

I've purchased a 1 way ticket for my daughter Houston to Cebu(Philippines). She's born in the PI, but is holding a US passport (only) so I'm concerned that the airline and/or PI Immigration my ask for a return ticket. I've had issues with ticket agents and PI immigration regarding the same issue. One never knows, depending on ticket counter agents and depending on how the immigration agent is feeling that day. At 13, I don't want her to have to deal with any issues.

I'd like to buy a fully refundable ticket for her so I can get my money back on the unused ticket. I don't want to make any mistakes and have seen varying opinions here as to whether this is possible, with which carriers, etc...

Please advise. Which carrier to buy from departing CEB (destination does not matter)? How to ensure a fully refundable ticket?
Can I get a refund without the physical ticket if I buy for her with my Bank of America travel rewards card? or is there a better way? She does not have mileage, but I do, on Delta.

Thanks,
Allen

ft101 Apr 16, 2019 9:37 pm

A throwaway ticket on the cheapest route you can find may be simpler, even though there is a cost involved. There are also fake ticket generators if you want to risk that.

SFO777 Apr 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 31008736)
A throwaway ticket on the cheapest route you can find may be simpler, even though there is a cost involved. There are also fake ticket generators if you want to risk that.

Agree, You can buy a CEB-SIN ticket for $40.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...24a2ee1854.png

MSPeconomist Apr 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Don't forget that she must be admissible with her travel documents to the next destination. (For example, a ticket to a place that requires a visa in advance would not work unless she has that visa.) There could even in principle be a further hassle if the next destination requires an onward ticket for admission......

MSPeconomist Apr 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 31008736)

Don't even think of trying a fake ticket for a kid traveling alone.

estnet Apr 16, 2019 10:15 pm

When/is she returning to the US? Or wherever she is traveling next - is she planning on staying there indefinitely?
The issue usually is that the airline wants to make sure the person is admissible to the country (eg won't exceed whatever time limit for visitors without a special visa).

GUWonder Apr 17, 2019 1:01 am

A refundable, onward/return ticket to a destination where the person doesn't require a visa to enter and has prima facie evidence of admissibility -- probably meaning US passport and a bank card with enough means to buy a refundable ticket onward/return home -- is generally more than sufficient and would generally work just fine.

garykung Apr 17, 2019 1:08 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 31008820)
When/is she returning to the US? Or wherever she is traveling next - is she planning on staying there indefinitely?
The issue usually is that the airline wants to make sure the person is admissible to the country (eg won't exceed whatever time limit for visitors without a special visa).

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31009154)
A refundable, onward/return ticket to a destination where the person doesn't require a visa to enter and has prima facie evidence of admissibility -- probably meaning US passport and a bank card with enough means to buy a refundable ticket onward/return home -- is generally more than sufficient and would generally work just fine.

In other word, at the minimum (and the safest), your daughter should have a ticket for MNL-GUM.

GUWonder Apr 17, 2019 1:57 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31009165)
In other word, at the minimum (and the safest), your daughter should have a ticket for MNL-GUM.

A MNL-BKK or MNL-SIN ticket would generally work out for being safe for travel to MNL on a US passport.