Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Insurance for missed connections

Insurance for missed connections

Old Apr 15, 19, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Insurance for missed, separately-ticketed flights

This is probably a very naive question but my thoughts about travel insurance are usually to cover medical situations. I'm planning a TP run with a few different flights that aren't connected in terms of ticket - so about three different tickets. Most of the plan involves at least 12 hours between flights - but what if that wasn't enough and I missed the next flight? Can I get cover to fix that problem should it arise?

Last edited by webstereo; Apr 15, 19 at 6:12 pm Reason: improvement
Old Apr 15, 19, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by webstereo View Post
This is probably a very naive question but my thoughts about travel insurance are usually to cover medical situations. I'm planning a TP run with a few different flights that aren't connected in terms of ticket - so about three different tickets. Most of the plan involves at least 12 hours between flights - but what if that wasn't enough and I missed the next flight? Can I get cover to fix that problem should it arise?
Booking different tickets always has a miconnect risk, especially if on different airlines.

I'm sure there are policies that cover these types of policies, but they might be pricier than a standard policy. I recently bought a yearly family travel, and there were a lot of exclusions you need to be aware of.
Old Apr 15, 19, 5:15 am
Original Poster

My research so far suggests that no such policy exists. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Old Apr 15, 19, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My research so far suggests that no such policy exists. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Iíve read about ďany reasonĒ trip cancellation insurance. One would think that would work, but Iíve never bought such a creature.
Old Apr 15, 19, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may want to change the thread title because it is fundamentally wrong and leads others who want to help you to the wrong information. By definition, if you are traveling on separate tickets, you are not connecting and thus if you no show for a second or subsequent ticket, you are not misconnecting.

I am not aware of any travel insurance which covers this risk. There are "all perils" cancellation clauses, but those cover your decision to cancel, not the fact of a delay and therefore will not likely work in your situation.

Bottom line is that you are accepting the risk of the no show, including have to purchase a new ticket, pay for hotels and food, and deal with all of this yourself. There are some exceptions. AA, by way of example, protects across its own separate tickets as well as to & from other OW carriers. DL by policy, but not contract, does so between its own tickets on flights it operates only.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Ok thanks. Forgive me for using the incorrect nomenclature. What would be the correct thread title?
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Ok thanks. Forgive me for using the incorrect nomenclature. What would be the correct thread title?
How about "Insurance for missed, separately-ticketed flights"?
Often1 and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anything other than "connection." It is a good way to get a wrong answer because connections are by definition protected.
Old Apr 16, 19, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Where are you based? In another thread, a UK-based poster claimed to have such a policy issued by Admiral.
Old Apr 16, 19, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Where are you based? In another thread, a UK-based poster claimed to have such a policy issued by Admiral.
Really? Thanks.

Search this Thread