Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

is my luggage lost forever?

Old Apr 2, 19, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

on the return trip from lax to ewr, i mistakenly (and stupidly) forgot to check my oversized big bag in and just gave it to the guy at the oversized luggage area who received it. i didn't realize my mistake until i landed in newark when my bike never arrived. i immediately went to the airline's baggage office, explained my issue, and opened a claim. they reached out to lax however according to them, they don't have any bags fitting my description. Since the bag was never checked in, there is no record in the airline's system. the airline did put out a notice on this "watch list" system so other airlines would be aware of this missing bag.

does anyone have any personal stories of something similar happening to them? is there anything i can do to try and get my bag located? it has a tag with my name and personal information, and i'm pretty sure bags don't vanish in thin air. I'm already thinking of opening a claim with my insurance though i am not sure how long to wait until i do so and consider my bag lost for good.

tl;dr - i lost my bag because i'm a moron
Old Apr 3, 19, 12:48 pm

Have you tried to see your item is listed here?
https://www.flylax.com/en/lax-commen...and-found-form
Old Apr 3, 19, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Best place to look is your travel insurance. I would read the policy carefully. While it likely, just like UA (i'm presuming UA), required that the item be checked in and then lost, it is worth the 10-15 minutes it will take to review the definitions and terms.
Old Apr 4, 19, 3:19 am

Every once in a while we heard about luggage handlers being arrested for stealing items from bags. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happened here given that you basically gave your unchecked bag away and left. That is specially true for something like a bike that can be easily sold for cash. It could be that the bag is sitting somewhere in the airport's lost & found room but if's been a few weeks and it didn't turn up I wouldn't hold my breath it ever will unfortunately.

To figure out what exactly happened airport security or the police would have to go over the footage of the day (if they actually keep video that long -- no idea of what are their requirements), which seems unlikely to happen unless we are talking about a very expensive bike or if there are more cases that, collectively, draw the attention of the police.
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Do they not scan the tag immediately before putting it on the belt? Seems odd that you were able to do this without someone alerting you (and I imagine there's CCTV).
Old Apr 14, 19, 3:22 pm

Its just odd that he received your bag and didn't alert you to the lack of a tag on your bag.

Search this Thread