FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Weekly commuting LAX to SJC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1962845-weekly-commuting-lax-sjc.html)

swef Mar 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Weekly commuting LAX to SJC

I'm new here on the forums, so please let me know if this post is best moved elsewhere.

I will soon be commuting from LA to San Jose on a weekly basis. Monday morning through Thursday evening in San Jose, and Friday-Sunday in LA. I've been looking around a bit, and it seems like AlaskaAir, SouthWest, and Delta all have flights that fit this schedule.

I'm wondering if anyone else who does something similar to this has any tips on when/how to book these flights, roughly what a "good price" for these tickets are; depending on the airline, is it easy to adjust the flights depending on your schedule and the changing costs of the bookings? And anything else that might help me with this.

Thanks!

bzcat Mar 27, 2019 4:33 pm

I used to commute from Orange County to SJC for a while. About half of the time I used SNA and half of the time LAX. I tried every airlines but at the end I was using pretty much just Southwest because they don't charge a change fee (just pay the airfare difference). Also Southwest tends to have the most reasonable same day/walk up fare. Honestly, this commute will be much easier if we had high speed rail. I would do that in a heart beat vs. flying.

guv1976 Mar 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by swef (Post 30936747)
I'm new here on the forums, so please let me know if this post is best moved elsewhere.

I will soon be commuting from LA to San Jose on a weekly basis. Monday morning through Thursday evening in San Jose, and Friday-Sunday in LA. I've been looking around a bit, and it seems like AlaskaAir, SouthWest, and Delta all have flights that fit this schedule.

I'm wondering if anyone else who does something similar to this has any tips on when/how to book these flights, roughly what a "good price" for these tickets are; depending on the airline, is it easy to adjust the flights depending on your schedule and the changing costs of the bookings? And anything else that might help me with this.

Thanks!

Welcome to FT!

I can't tell you if any one of those airlines will be consistently cheaper than the others, but I do know that there's a fourth airline that flies that route: AA. Have you looked at AA's schedules to determine whether they might work for you?

Have you given any thought as to how you would like to use the frequent-flyer miles you accumulate on your trips? It's tough to redeem Southwest miles for travel to Europe or Asia or South America, etc., etc.

If using your miles is an important consideration for you, let us know where you'd want to fly on miles, and we can give you some better recommendations.

VegasGambler Mar 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 30937012)
I used to commute from Orange County to SJC for a while. About half of the time I used SNA and half of the time LAX. I tried every airlines but at the end I was using pretty much just Southwest because they don't charge a change fee (just pay the airfare difference). Also Southwest tends to have the most reasonable same day/walk up fare. Honestly, this commute will be much easier if we had high speed rail. I would do that in a heart beat vs. flying.

Yeah and AS charges a $25 SDC fee (waived for Gold or higher) and doesn't charge the airfare difference.

I was just discussing this on a thread on the AS forum. For some reason people think that paying the airfare difference is no big deal (could easily exceed $100), but balk at a $25 change fee. Southwest has trained people well...

But, honestly, if you care about comfort and convenience more than miles or status you could look into JetSuiteX if they fly to an airport that's convenient for you (they do not fly to SJC). No TSA!! Arrive at the airport 20 min before your flight. How much is that worth?

priscillakoroma Mar 28, 2019 4:17 am

Hello swef! I too often fly and have the same problems. I'm glad I can help you. I will collect the necessary information and write to you again.