FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Preboard/disabilities question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1962268-preboard-disabilities-question.html)

Lgh34609 Mar 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Preboard/disabilities question

are the Airlines aloud to ask what your disability is and denie your to Preboard? On my last flight I asked to preboard, the agent asked why, I stated I had a disability and needed to preboard, she asked what the disability was. I explained that it’s personal and I didn't want others to know about it. What can I do when asked this question?

Mwenenzi Mar 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lgh34609 (Post 30921907)
are the Airlines allowed to ask what your disability is and deny your to Preboard? On my last flight I asked to preboard, the agent asked why, I stated I had a disability and needed to preboard, she asked what the disability was. I explained that it’s personal and I didn't want others to know about it. What can I do when asked this question?

What airline / route?
If not an obvious disability seems a reasonable question.
Unfortunately some people will say almost anything to pre board.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post30415546

Often1 Mar 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Presuming that this was either a US carrier or a departure from the US, the carrier may not ask about the nature of the disability.

However, as you related the incident, it appears that you simply asked to preboard. Therefore "why" is a valid question.

The better approach is to simply advise that you have a disability which requires preboarding and leave it at that. If asked anything further, simply say that you don't care to discuss it, although in most cases that won't happen if you make it clear in your statement why you need the preboard.

Lgh34609 Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm

This was AA out of a small airport in Michigan TVC to ORD.

Thanks for the advice

Efrem Mar 23, 2019 9:39 pm

I encounter similar situations in my work, though that work has nothing to do with airlines or boarding.

Of 100 people who ask for some sort of special consideration, 999 out of 1,000 are completely honest and are entitled to what they ask for. In fact, at least 950 are entitled to more than they are asking for. However, 1 out of 1,000 is a con artist who is out to game the system. I am not professionally qualified to figure out which that one is. Therefore, I ask all 1,000 for more information unless their condition is externally visible. That information takes a different form in my work than it does here, because the people in question have more lead time to provide it, but I insist on it nonetheless. Without it, no accommodation.

I also give them the opportunity to discuss the matter and provide that information privately. Their condition is, after all, nobody's business except theirs (and mine if they want me to accommodate it). You could offer to provide additional information in private, away from other ears. Chances are an airline agent won't want to leave his or her post for that purpose, but will see that as sufficient willingness on your part to justify your request and will let you preboard.

Another option, for the future, is to prepare a written note that the agent can read so a public discussion will not be necessary.

Blueskyheaven Mar 24, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Lgh34609 (Post 30922296)
This was AA out of a small airport in Michigan TVC to ORD.

Thanks for the advice

Unless you have visible disability like DS or physical disability, just mention your disability and then preboard request. We have an autistic son and we mention it first or mention it if asked when standing in preboard line. If they ignore or refuse, video record it or get the name of the agent so you can deal with this later .

Unfortunately some disability like autism have disadvantage of not being visible to others and people don't know and some even prejudge! 3 months ago, we were flying form SAN-ORD, We had 80 years old relative with walking stick and our autistic child waiting in early boarding line with 2 of us.

We have already declared this on our reservation.
The AA agent asks" you need to boarding early so you can something" Wasn't rude or anything but if he looked, we have senior citizen on walking stick that is very visible. For many, even airline agents, it seems they think disability ONLY means someone on wheelchair! It is sad reality!