FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Vegas to KL flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1961853-vegas-kl-flight.html)

bgbk78 Mar 21, 2019 4:52 am

Vegas to KL flight

Hi
I plan to take Southwest Airlines and fly in from Ontario CA to Vegas (Mccaren) my flight time is 6:25am to 7:25am, my next flight is on ANA airlines which flies from Vegas to Denver to Tokyo to KL, the flight time is at 9:49 am, i have about 2 hours in between those 2 flights. Is 2 hours too short of a time? I have nvr been to Mccaren airport ... does the terminal far apart from each other? is 2 hours enough time to clear check in, immigration and security?

pokeable Mar 21, 2019 7:38 am

Originally Posted by bgbk78 (Post 30912312)
Hi
I plan to take Southwest Airlines and fly in from Ontario CA to Vegas (Mccaren) my flight time is 6:25am to 7:25am, my next flight is on ANA airlines which flies from Vegas to Denver to Tokyo to KL, the flight time is at 9:49 am, i have about 2 hours in between those 2 flights. Is 2 hours too short of a time? I have nvr been to Mccaren airport ... does the terminal far apart from each other? is 2 hours enough time to clear check in, immigration and security?

Should be ok as long as the bags get off the Southwest flight in a reasonable amount of time. Southwest (and assuming United on your connecting flight) are in T1 and T3 respectively.

bgbk78 Mar 21, 2019 7:56 am

Hi pokeable,
Thanks for the info.... btw, how far is T1 to T3 , is it walking distance or do we need to take a aerotrain or something? Is Southwest Airlines normally very punctual?

gengar Mar 21, 2019 8:51 am

Just to be clear, the LAS-DEN-NRT legs will presumably be on UA since NH doesn't serve DEN. Note also that there is no exit immigration control when departing USA.

All airside areas are connected at LAS, so it is possible to get from any WN gate to any UA gate airside. The only issue would be if OP is checking bags, as WN does ground handling in T1 and UA does ground handling in T3, and it is not possible to get between the landside areas of T1 and T3 quickly (there is a free shuttle bus which is supposed to run every 15 minutes, but I've read reports that it runs irregularly).

pokeable Mar 21, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by bgbk78 (Post 30912833)
Hi pokeable,
Thanks for the info.... btw, how far is T1 to T3 , is it walking distance or do we need to take a aerotrain or something? Is Southwest Airlines normally very punctual?

If you aren't checking any baggage, there is a tram to T1 Terminal D airside, and from there, connects to T3.
If you need to collect baggage from Southwest and check it through to KL, it maybe best to get a cab or uber to T3. Too far to walk.

sanur08 Mar 21, 2019 3:22 pm

You should check on SW website to see the % of time that flt arrives on schedule. SW also has a page showing all of the flts on each day and if on time or delayed. For myself, I would not cut it that short as SW is late leaving on a regular basis.

LondonElite Mar 23, 2019 1:10 am

Are you aware of the risks when travelling on separate tickets?

bgbk78 Mar 23, 2019 1:42 am

After considering all the risks involved .... ill prob fly AA for my KL to Vegas route... at least there is about 4 hrs in between both flights...

LondonElite Mar 23, 2019 2:04 am

Originally Posted by bgbk78 (Post 30919595)
After considering all the risks involved .... ill prob fly AA for my KL to Vegas route... at least there is about 4 hrs in between both flights...

That still dopes not remove the risks of travelling on separate tickets, though.

bgbk78 Mar 23, 2019 2:11 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30919616)

That still dopes not remove the risks of travelling on separate tickets, though.

Why don't u share your tips about it ?

LondonElite Mar 23, 2019 3:16 am

If you travel on separate tickets, you do not have a connection, you have two independent trips. If you do not present yourself for boarding in time for your LAS-DEN flight, that entire ticket (including the return from KUL or wherever that ticket ends) auto-cancels and you will either not be travelling at all, or will have to buy a new return ticket on the spot. You are not protected and UA has no obligation whatsoever to accommodate you. Now, there are a number of reasons why you may not get to LAS on time, including AA or WN cancelling your flight, or being diverted, or whatever other events take place. It is usually a minor risk if you have built in sufficient time and have alternatives in place (a later flight, driving, etc). But you need to be aware of the risk nonetheless.

craigthemif Mar 23, 2019 4:45 am

Originally Posted by bgbk78 (Post 30919626)
Why don't u share your tips about it ?

@LondonElite laid it out pretty clearly.

A much safer way is flying into LAS the night before. (and not on the last possible flight of the night) You want to not really care about flight delays, and you want alternative flight options in case yours is cancelled.

You generally have to be borderline crazy to risk no-showing a long-haul flight because you tried to squeeze in a separate ticket positioning flight with little margin for error. But some people do it, and get away with it. Others would get a nice long vacation in LAS instead of Malaysia...