Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

AAmiles done but I want to fly Qatar

Old Mar 18, 19, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the correct place. I apologize in advance!

Our next big trip is Africa 2020. I'm now in the planning process and found out that it would be a great opportunity to fly Qatar Qsuites. However, citi just told me that i won't earn miles for opening up the Aadvantage Executive card. I only have 20,000aadvantage miles left. American told me NYC to Kenya or NYC to Cape Town is 75,000 miles each way. Last year I opened both the Citi Platimum Select and Braclays Aviator Red cards. It looks impossible but with a year left to hustle, it is remotely possible to fly Qatar business in Feb 2020?

Overall trip routing = NYC to Nairobi then Cape Town to NYC. What other airlines would you recommend I work hard for a year to try to redeem 2 one way business awards on?

Points Remaining
I have 20,000 aAdvantage miles
I have 23,032 alaska miles
I have 40,000 UR points left (opened 2016)
I have 55,000 MR points left (open 2018)
I have 16,000 Qatar points (NYC to Bali rt earned sept 2018)
I have 15,000 Virgin miles (NYC to Dubai rt earned April 2017)

Newly Opened accounts
Amex Gold Card - Q1 2018
Citi Platiumum Select - Q1 2018
Barclays Aviator Card - Q1 2018
Alaska Bank - Q3 2018
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RaiRaie View Post
I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the correct place. I apologize in advance!

Our next big trip is Africa 2020. I'm now in the planning process and found out that it would be a great opportunity to fly Qatar Qsuites. However, citi just told me that i won't earn miles for opening up the Aadvantage Executive card. I only have 20,000aadvantage miles left. American told me NYC to Kenya or NYC to Cape Town is 75,000 miles each way. Last year I opened both the Citi Platimum Select and Braclays Aviator Red cards. It looks impossible but with a year left to hustle, it is remotely possible to fly Qatar business in Feb 2020?

Overall trip routing = NYC to Nairobi then Cape Town to NYC. What other airlines would you recommend I work hard for a year to try to redeem 2 one way business awards on?

Points Remaining
I have 20,000 aAdvantage miles
I have 23,032 alaska miles
I have 40,000 UR points left (opened 2016)
I have 55,000 MR points left (open 2018)
I have 16,000 Qatar points (NYC to Bali rt earned sept 2018)
I have 15,000 Virgin miles (NYC to Dubai rt earned April 2017)

Newly Opened accounts
Amex Gold Card - Q1 2018
Citi Platiumum Select - Q1 2018
Barclays Aviator Card - Q1 2018
Alaska Bank - Q3 2018
Those low balances will not be a lot of use for long haul award flights

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better.

AS & AA were full ff partners. Are now limited partners.
The QR NYC-DSP trip could have been credited to AA. QR ff miles have a hard expiry. Use them or loose them.
The Qatar QR CEO talks about leaving the OneWorld alliance.

A very general award guide
JFK-NBO https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=JFK&t...=1&c=j&s=2&p=0
NBO-CPT https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=NBO&t...=1&c=j&s=2&p=0
CPT-JFK https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=CPT&t...=1&c=j&s=2&p=0

Route (but likley will not be possible without other airport transits)
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=JFK-NBO...K&MS=wls&DU=mi

Credit card transfer links
Yoshi212 likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 18, 19 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Understood and thanks for the input. Two weeks ago I completed my Asian trip for the year in which i ended up redeeming 4 business class tickets from NYC to BKK and SIN to NYC, and business class seats from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur to Singapore. So yes, my points are low all around.

The QR NYC-DSP trip could have been credited to AA. QR ff miles have a hard expiry. Use them or loose them.
<-- Yes, that was an error (i booked while i was searching Qatar and the QFF code stayed in) on my part but yes, i have learned from my mistakes.

At this point, i'll most likely pay for my flights to Africa. I have a few vacations lined up for the rest of the year. I'll earn points for the next two years and try with Qatar again in 2021!

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Always worth seeing what the buy miles deals are. At times (if award availability is there), it can be cheaper to buy the miles.

Two other thoughts:

1) Check ex-YYZ for paid tickets
2) Check ex-EU for the QR flash sales that sometimes pop-up with reasonable J fares and then use your miles stash to fly in Y (or J) for the hop over the pond to the ex-EU ticket
3) Supplement your miles (per my first comment) and book a OW in J and then buy a cash fare home (ex-Africa can have some steals in J / F on QR / EY / EK and at times others)
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 3:51 pm

Hey buddy

Make sure to stop-over in Doha if you're flying Q-Suites

Last edited by wordsew; Apr 8, 19 at 4:02 pm

Search this Thread