Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

AA Base & Bonus Miles, EQM and EQD

Old Mar 18, 19, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Got a question for all the American Airlines frequent fliers. Iím currently Platinum Pro. I fly the JFK - HKG via LAX route 4 times a year. I usually purchase an economy ticket. Regarding accruing Base and bonus Miles, EQD and EQM is more beneficial for me purchase my ticket on Cathay(flying AA or Cathay) or purchase on AA?

A friend of mine whoís EP bought a Premium Economy ticket on Cathay and operated by Cathay from JFK - HKG. Iím Platium Pro and I bought an Economy ticket on AA and operated by AA JFK- LAX-HKG. His base and bonus mileage, EQD and EQM were anywhere from double to five times more than what I received. We both spent roughly around the same amount.

I basically want to know what more beneficial for me considering my status and the type of ticket(Economy) Iím buying when trying to accrue base and bonus miles, EQD, and EQM. Buy on AA or Cathay and if itís Cathay does it matter if the flights are operated by Cathay or AA?
Old Mar 18, 19, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Well for starters, you mentioned that your friend bought Premium Economy, while you bought economy, you get more miles on PE vs. E. Secondly, he is EXP, and you are PP, he is getting a bit more. Since you are buying economy, you need to check how it codes regarding mileage accrual if bought at Cathay or AA, as sometimes you earn more buying on partner and flying as a codeshare.
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
Well for starters, you mentioned that your friend bought Premium Economy, while you bought economy, you get more miles on PE vs. E. Secondly, he is EXP, and you are PP, he is getting a bit more. Since you are buying economy, you need to check how it codes regarding mileage accrual if bought at Cathay or AA, as sometimes you earn more buying on partner and flying as a codeshare.

Thanks! But as a general rule of thumb. If I had a choice of buying an AA operated flight Economy ticket on AA or Cathay assuming the fares are identical, which would accrue more dollars and mileage?
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA FrequentFlyer Welcome to FT
Guess you will spending time in the AA forum

Cross posted in the AA forum--->AA Base & Bonus Mileage, EQM and EQD Accruage

Have requested moderators lock this thread. Cross posting is not allowed on FT
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#crossposting
6 Cross-Posting
Don't post your topic more than once. Duplicate threads or posts will be deleted, combined or locked.
Old Mar 18, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
See here -
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

Most economy ticket booking codes on CX earn zero for AA Advantage program. Zero base miles, zero EQD, zero EQM.

Search this Thread