FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Single mum travelling to Turkey with 12 yr old. Do I need a notorized letter from ex? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1960981-single-mum-travelling-turkey-12-yr-old-do-i-need-notorized-letter-ex.html)

LisaPot Mar 15, 2019 5:35 am

Single mum travelling to Turkey with 12 yr old. Do I need a notorized letter from ex?

Hi all, I’m new and not sure where to post this, so many apologies if this has been answered elsewhere..

I’m hoping to go on holiday to Turkey next year. I was going to simply take a copy of my daughter’s birth certificate, and the usual letter giving permission by her father (we both have the same surname). However, my travel agent says I need to check whether the permission letter needs to be signed by a notary. I’m really hoping not as I’d rather not ask my ex to do this, if at all possible.

Ive tried ringing the Turkish Consulate, their helpline, tried to send a written question (but it won’t accept the Captcha!), and even rung the airport - all with no joy.

Is anyone in my position, and been to Turkey? Or does anyone know for sure what I need to take?

Thanks so much in advance.

Lisa

erixa4114 Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am

Originally Posted by LisaPot (Post 30889787)
Hi all, I’m new and not sure where to post this, so many apologies if this has been answered elsewhere..

I’m hoping to go on holiday to Turkey next year. I was going to simply take a copy of my daughter’s birth certificate, and the usual letter giving permission by her father (we both have the same surname). However, my travel agent says I need to check whether the permission letter needs to be signed by a notary. I’m really hoping not as I’d rather not ask my ex to do this, if at all possible.

Ive tried ringing the Turkish Consulate, their helpline, tried to send a written question (but it won’t accept the Captcha!), and even rung the airport - all with no joy.

Is anyone in my position, and been to Turkey? Or does anyone know for sure what I need to take?

Thanks so much in advance.

Lisa

Good Morning, Due to my past experiences as a divorced mom, Yes, its advisable to get a notarized letter from the father, and give a copy to the consulate and attorney if either of you are represented, or someone who can attest or witness to your good intentions, while out of the country; like a family member.

Thank You,

Erica

jbeckett Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Hard to say for sure from what I see here -
General Information About Turkish Visas / Rep. of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs

"Any applicant under the age of 18 must submit official written approvals from both parents. For those applicants who certify that their parents are officially divorced and prove the parent holding their custody as well as for those with one parent deceased, visas may be issued in accordance with their purpose of visit."

The question is - what is the meaning of "official" in "official written approvals from both parents" . I guess that when you apply for the visa for the child, you can submit the letters that you have and see if the visa is approved.

LondonElite Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm

You’ve left out a huge amount of information, including where you are from, but a notarised letter from your children’s father is a smart thing to have.

LisaPot Mar 16, 2019 3:06 am

Originally Posted by erixa4114 (Post 30890916)
Good Morning, Due to my past experiences as a divorced mom, Yes, its advisable to get a notarized letter from the father, and give a copy to the consulate and attorney if either of you are represented, or someone who can attest or witness to your good intentions, while out of the country; like a family member.

Thank You,

Erica

Sorry, I’m from the UK. I’m officially divorced. I’ve got in touch with a Notary, asking them how much they charge, as I think I will take everyone’s advice and get a letter witnesses/signed by them.
Thanks.