Reload this Page >

PHL <> TLV in May 2019

PHL <> TLV in May 2019

Old Mar 3, 19, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SWA, UA
PHL <> TLV in May 2019

Hi all,
Looking to book a trip from PHL to TLV and back and would appreciate your assistance. EWR is also an option but is less desirable (another $150-200 just to get to/from there).

We are two adults and one lap infant. Looking to fly economy. Dates: leave around 5/24/2019, return around 6/2/2019 (we have some flexibility).

Points balances:
  • 120k UR (CSR), another 120k expected in 3 weeks
  • 55k UA in two separate accounts (each 55k), should post in one week
  • 58k AA
  • 50k SWA
  • 90k Capital One (Venture) miles

Looks like we can fly PHL -> TLV with LH via FRA on 5/23 for 42.5k by booking through UA and transferring ~30k UR to make up the difference. Sounds good to me, hope it will stay available until our UA miles post next week.

I am having more issues with TLV -> PHL -
  • Through UA I can't find any decent option to PHL with 1 stop or less than 37 hours (TLV - SFO - PHL). I see that TLV -> EWR direct is still available on 6/1 but not sure it will be available next week.
  • AA shows an Iberia/AA flight through MAD on 6/3, but I need 22k more AA miles. Any way to book this flight with Iberia by transferring UR?
  • Tried BA but there is no availability in that week (+- some days).
  • Tried Aeroplan (I can transfer from Cap One 2:1.5) but I just see LH/UA flights with 2 stops and no AC flights.

Any suggestions or anything I am missing? Any use for Cap One miles? Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Welcome to Flyertalk. You are unfortunately booking quite late for a May 2019 trip. You may try an award booking service.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Some additional points, if AA shows IB inventory you should cal BA to see if they have it to as that is bookable with UR points transfer. Same with Aeroplan. If UA shows it try calling in.

We can't really help you since the points balances don't really exist yet so not worth suggesting routings that aren't bookable even though they're available.
Old Mar 4, 19, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Your Iberia/AA flight should be bookable with Iberia Avios, but it doesn't show online and probably wouldn't make sense to do anyway. I do see it on ba.com for 60k + $2xx.xx per person.

Your situation illustrates why frequent flyer miles are rarely a good use for international economy. You have the CSR and (soon-to-be) 240k points. Cash flights are under $1,200 per person. So use ~80k Chase points each and book a nice 1-stop each way itinerary. Even if you could find, say, round trip using United miles, you'd use 85k miles + ~$125 in taxes/fees + you have an 11-hour layover on the outbound you've found. Much better deal to spend 80k Chase points, have reasonable layovers, and even earn miles for flying.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone! I really appreciate the input.

I am tending towards dukerau's suggestion to use the Chase portal. If we book through UA with miles (PHL -> FRA -> TLV, TLV -> EWR) we will use 110k UA, 60k UR plus $200 in taxes (and EWR is less convenient). Doesn't seem to be worth it when we can book through Chase under AA (codeshare flight between Europe and Israel), using 120k plus $400 in cash.
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:43 am
Original Poster

I don't want to start another thread so I'll keep my questions here.

One of the possible itineraries is PHL - LIS - TLV and we are considering a 1-2 nights stopover in Lisbon. According to the fare rules (found on Matrix ITA) one stopover should be free, but the fare seems to increase by about $200-300 when I bump the connecting TAP flight by 1-2 more days. See the following link or below for a comparison in one itinerary (sorry for the formatting, not allowed to post links yet): www.diffchecker.com/ YEIh94ld

The difference in fees is minor, it's mostly the fare that changes. I tried pricing different days so that doesn't seem to be the reason. Booking classes are the same. Any ideas why the fare is changing? Thanks!

No stopover:
Spoiler

With stopover:
Spoiler

Fare rules:
Spoiler

Search this Thread
Search Engine: