Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards and Other Rewards

Old Feb 25, 19, 8:09 am
Original Poster

I decided to get into the points game a little over two years ago and I went all out with Chase. I already had the Freedom and I got the Sapphire Preferred, Freedom Unlimited and Ink Business Plus. I see these big signup bonuses for Cards from other banks but I wonder how well that works having cards from different banks and having points from different programs compared to having all your points pooled into one. Also its hard enough right now trying to figure out which card to use when. I can't imagine having even more cards and trying to decided which one to use especially if they have the same reward amount for a particular category. Any advice? Also if I've had all my Chase cards over two years is there anything I can do with them for new bonuses?

I had over 300,000 points at one point and the few times I tried I couldn't find any award seats for places I wanted to go when I wanted to go so I finally redeemed them on the Chase travel site which I know is not the best redemption value. I mainly like to go on tropical vacations. Are you guys able to find award space to tropical vacation destinations?
Old Feb 25, 19, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Somekevinguy View Post
I had over 300,000 points at one point and the few times I tried I couldn't find any award seats for places I wanted to go when I wanted to go so I finally redeemed them on the Chase travel site which I know is not the best redemption value. I mainly like to go on tropical vacations. Are you guys able to find award space to tropical vacation destinations?
If you want to go to a vacation to a popular destination, with the family, at the same time as 1000's of others it is very very hard.

Chase UR Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timeline, etc (2017)

OP's other threads---->How to Manage Family Points
Old Feb 25, 19, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Somekevinguy View Post
I mainly like to go on tropical vacations. Are you guys able to find award space to tropical vacation destinations?
So do zillions of other people unfortunately. So you may have to figure out tropical vacations that are good enough for you but which few other people think of. For example, I would guess that devasted-by-Maria Puerto Rico is probably easier than most, but you have to find places to stay that are ready to accept visitors.

You also have to plan ahead more than most and be more flexible (with both dates and routings) than most, if you want to compete for the more popular locations. Are you able to pin down your vacations 11 months out? See, many airlines publish fares (including awards) about 330 days (about 11 months) out, and you need to be able to start looking then for the best availability.

You haven't explained what part of the country you're based in. From some parts of the country to some tropical destinations it may make more sense to pay for fares and earn miles than to try to get scarce award redemptions. I didn't even try to get award trips from Los Angeles to either Maui a few years ago or Puerto Rico a few years ago (before Maria), the paid fares were not much more than common cross-country lower 48 fares. But I don't do "tropical vacations" in the common sense, I just went those two places to explore the islands. I save my miles for use to places on the other side of the world where I want to fly in business class (which I can't afford to pay for the same way I can pay for North American coach fares).

If you get an actual United card, that'll unlock "Standard" redemptions on United planes, but I don't know if you're interested in that. "Standard" redemptions cost 2 to 3 times as much as "saver" redemptions, but they're available as long as there is a single seat on the plane for sale. (They're called "anytime" awards at some other airlines.) But you have to evaluate whether paying 2 to 3 times the "saver" miles is worth it to you, or does it make more sense to just pay cash for the planes fares.

Because United partners with Chase, and Chase denies you for cards if you opened 5 or more personal credit cards with any bank in the past 2 years (a policy known as "5/24"), it's hard to collect United miles or UR points as fast now as a few years ago.

But that's the thing. Bank after bank is cracking down more and more on "churning" cards (repeatedly applying for cards mostly to get the signup bonus).

So it's likely it'll be much harder for you to earn your next 300,000 potential miles than it was to earn the 300,000 which you had before.

Search this Thread