Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Newbie needs help: Premium Economy or Business Class tickets to Europe (MUC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

(Admins. please move if I've put this in the wrong place). I am still learning about the intricacies of miles & points, so forgive my ignorance.

My wife and I have approx. 150k+ Amex MR points and 85k+ Cap. One Venture points. We are looking to do a multi-city trip to Europe in July (12-22). Ideally East Coast, YYZ or NYC to MUC on the outbound and Zurich or Milan back to NYC or YYZ on the 22nd (we have a wedding in Greece on the 20th on an island and there are direct flights from there to Zurich, Milan, etc.).

What would the experts recommend as the best use of points to get Premium Economy or Business RT? I've checked United's site - but I'm not sure I'm correctly understanding their availability levels.

Many, many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nycelta Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by nycelta
My wife and I have approx. 150k+ Amex MR points and 85k+ Cap. One Venture points. We are looking to do a multi-city trip to Europe in July (12-22). Ideally East Coast, YYZ or NYC to MUC on the outbound and Zurich or Milan back to NYC or YYZ on the 22nd (we have a wedding in Greece on the 20th on an island and there are direct flights from there to Zurich, Milan, etc.).

What would the experts recommend as the best use of points to get Premium Economy or Business RT? I've checked United's site - but I'm not sure I'm correctly understanding their availability levels.
Looking now for 2 x business class awards east coast USA to Eu for July 2019 will usually show nil/low availability. Awards can start to be available from 353/330 days out (depends on ffp). Look for any airport, NYC, BOS, YYC etc to any & all central Eu airports. Wanting specific dates & citys will limit your options a lot.

Look here -->Amex MR Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FT!

Neither Cap One Venture points nor (U.S.-based) Amex MR points transfer to UA, so although you might end up on one or more UA flights, you won't be redeeming UA miles to get those flights.

Amex points can transfer to a number of Star Alliance airlines, each of which has its own redemption rates and fees. The mileage quoted to you on the UA website will be irrelevant to you, since you won't be redeeming UA miles. You can use the UA website to search for "Saver" award seats on Star Alliance carriers; such seats should be available for redemption from other Star Alliance programs, like Aeroplan.

You can also check delta.com to see how much Delta wants for the trip. Note that Delta redemptions that originate in Europe have high cash surcharges, so if you are going to redeem Delta miles for a one-way, only do so for the North America-Europe outbound.

Why are your origination options only NYC or YYZ? Can you not depart from other airports in between, like, BUF, ROC, SYR, ITH, or ELM?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Yes, absolutely we can travel from ROC, BUF, SYR. I only checked UA's site as I saw that I needed to look there first for available Saver awards and found very little.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Welcome to FT!

Neither Cap One Venture points nor (U.S.-based) Amex MR points transfer to UA, so although you might end up on one or more UA flights, you won't be redeeming UA miles to get those flights.

Amex points can transfer to a number of Star Alliance airlines, each of which has its own redemption rates and fees. The mileage quoted to you on the UA website will be irrelevant to you, since you won't be redeeming UA miles. You can use the UA website to search for "Saver" award seats on Star Alliance carriers; such seats should be available for redemption from other Star Alliance programs, like Aeroplan.

You can also check delta.com to see how much Delta wants for the trip. Note that Delta redemptions that originate in Europe have high cash surcharges, so if you are going to redeem Delta miles for a one-way, only do so for the North America-Europe outbound.

Why are your origination options only NYC or YYZ? Can you not depart from other airports in between, like, BUF, ROC, SYR, ITH, or ELM?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The new, soon to be launched DY (Norwegian) may fit your needs which is a direct ATH-JFK flight. I believer your Cap1 would be used to reduce the cost of such tickets and the Premium product, while not a business class product is reviewed as decent. That would leave you looking for just 2 1-way tickets which in awards can help out a lot.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Terrific feedback and I didn't know about the ATH-JFK route. I just read The Points Guy favorable review of their Premium product. What did you mean about using the CAP1 to reduce the cost? i.e. Instead of transferring the CAP1 points, instead buy down the cost of the flights directly within CAP1?

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The new, soon to be launched DY (Norwegian) may fit your needs which is a direct ATH-JFK flight. I believer your Cap1 would be used to reduce the cost of such tickets and the Premium product, while not a business class product is reviewed as decent. That would leave you looking for just 2 1-way tickets which in awards can help out a lot.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I am not a Capital One Venture card user so my knowledge of redemptions is limited but one of the good value redemptions seems to be you purchase the flights you want on your Cap1 card and then apply the points as a purchase eraser at $0.01 per points.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/rewa...-hassle-miles/

Originally Posted by nycelta
Terrific feedback and I didn't know about the ATH-JFK route. I just read The Points Guy favorable review of their Premium product. What did you mean about using the CAP1 to reduce the cost? i.e. Instead of transferring the CAP1 points, instead buy down the cost of the flights directly within CAP1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.