Wiki Posts
Search

"Influencer" Contact for AA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
"Influencer" Contact for AA

Hi, does anyone know who to contact at American Airlines for an "influencer" who wants to fly with AA and get some sort of discount or upgrade? I know most airlines do it, but I am unsure about AA.
Thanks!!!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Such influencer might think of using one the influencer platforms, such a twitter/facebook to contact them.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Have tried that way, but they only have customer service agents on social media platforms
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
May I ask what your real question is?
nancypants and gmt4 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by LondonElite
May I ask what your real question is?
Free flights for important people!
Steve M, SK, CPRich and 12 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Anyone that important has a corporate travel department, a travel agent, or both. Those people have AA sales reps. Go through that channel. The best you can hope for is elite status which will, in turn, lead to upgrades. Discounts aren't in the picture unless you can negotiate a volume discount with AA - which, in turn, doesn't require you (or anyone else) to be an influencer.

If this is a case of "I haven't been an influencer until now, but I'll start being one next week," the double line starts right behind me.
Steve M, JDiver, roberto99 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Free flights for important people!
Or people who believe they are important. I really hate the word ‘influencer.’
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:42 am
Original Poster

I hate the word "influencer" too, but unfortunately that's what everyone is using these days. It's really the new advertising/marketing of our time. I thought this was a good place to ask for a contact as I need it for work, but it seems I was mistaken.
I don't make the rules, it is just the reality of our time. Brands like British Airways and Virgin have seen this and have implemented very successful "influencer" campaigns, which are much cheaper than traditional advertising.
Sorry for asking
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:02 am

We still don't know why you want this info and your response sounds evasive.
nancypants and gmt4 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

I don't know why you think it sounds evasive.
I just asked if anyone knows the right person to talk to within AAs marketing department that handles social media requests. I don't know why it sounds so weird to everyone and why everyone is so mad about my question.
It's common practice across most brands today, yet I haven't found the right contact at AA and thought maybe someone here knew. That's it.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:58 am

Maybe why?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by erik123
We still don't know why you want this info and your response sounds evasive.
It's not evasive but I could see it looking weird if you're not familiar with the term. The OP wants the information for themselves, in order to contact AA and lobby the airline to provide a free flight, which the OP would review online (blog and/or social media). The unspoken supposed benefit to AA is positive exposure of AA to the OP's online followers, i.e., "influencing" said followers' perception of the AA brand - hence the appellation of "influencer". Which refers to someone who is not a journalist, travel critic/writing professional, or even the more serious commercial travel bloggers - the types of folks who traditionally might occasionally be provided gratis trips or flights for their review. "Influencers" aren't necessarily celebrities (most are not). Rather, the "influencer" may be totally unknown outside of their social media circle - but may have a bunch of followers on social media (sometimes the followers are fake or purchased - not implying the OP has such, but it definitely happens). Such individual then fishes for various companies to provide free goods or services for their review, on the basis that they are "influential" - citing their follower count, reposts, likes, and similar as evidence. Or occasionally the company may reach out to the person if they are prominent in social media circles relevant to the company.

IME you see it more with minor products - makeup, various nutritional supplements, articles of clothing - where it's cheap and easy to throw someone a bone, but it does happen occasionally with airlines or other travel providers. A few "influencers" may actually be effective in generating some extra buzz, but most are merely a legend in their own mind (again, not directing towards the OP, just describing the general situation). I've even come across someone whose stated job is an "agent" for "social media influencers". Their star client had something like 10% of the number of followers as a parody Twitter account for a bird that I follow.

As to the OP's query, I'd not be surprised if AA isn't specifically invested in the concept to the point of having a particular point of contact. Maybe their Twitter account I guess.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:00 am
Suspended

Isn’t every FTer who posts in Trip Reports an Influencer? Should they get free flights?
Andriyko, 84fiero, jtav559 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
everyone likes a freebie!
no one is having a go at you. good luck.
ASMan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Would it be as interesting if the review was of an economy flight, last row?
fotographer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.