Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct flight cancelled, put on indirect

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Direct flight cancelled, put on indirect

Hi, I had direct flights to and from Bozeman on United, and BOTH got cancelled the DAY of the flight, so I was put through layover nightmare travel days.

Wondering if there is any policy here.. I think this flight gets cancelled very often. So I feel like it was almost a bait and switch.. of course I would select the only direct flight (it's just this one) but then it's cancelled each time.. and was likely to be cancelled from the get-go. If I had known that, I would have selected a different indirect flight option (different airline).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisSF
Hi, I had direct flights to and from Bozeman on United, and BOTH got cancelled the DAY of the flight, so I was put through layover nightmare travel days.

Wondering if there is any policy here.. I think this flight gets cancelled very often. So I feel like it was almost a bait and switch.. of course I would select the only direct flight (it's just this one) but then it's cancelled each time.. and was likely to be cancelled from the get-go. If I had known that, I would have selected a different indirect flight option (different airline).
Do you mean "direct" flight, or "nonstop" flight? The two terms are not synonymous.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
If there are currently indirect options available for cheaper than you originally paid then request a refund and rebook
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Nonstop*

These cancellations/rebooks happened hours before my flight each day, so there wouldn't be cheaper same-day flight options by any means, and I've taken the flights I was automatically rebooked on. It just greatly extended my travel day and I was at the airport much earlier than need be
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisSF
I had direct flights to and from Bozeman on United, and BOTH got cancelled the DAY of the flight, so I was put through layover nightmare travel days.

Wondering if there is any policy here.. I think this flight gets cancelled very often. So I feel like it was almost a bait and switch
Do you statistical evidence of that?
Was the incoming aircraft delayed due to weather or what ever?
So that effected your outbound flight?
Small airports can have follow on delays due to problems somewhere in the system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozema...tional_Airport
https://bozemanairport.com/
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I haven't done an analysis of the ontime stats on flights departing BZN, but if you post the stats you found, it would be helpful.

You haven't told us where you are headed. But, bottom line is that UA serves SFO and DEN nonstop out of BZN. Thus, I will presume that you were either destined for SFO and wound up connecting at DEN or headed for DEN and wound up connecting at SFO.

Your options when your flight is cancelled were:
1. To accept UA's proposed reroute.
2. To propose some other reroute, e.g. the next nonstop (might not be the same day)
3. To cancel for a refund.

If by way of example, you were ticketed to DEN and the only option was to fly via SFO, you could have cancelled your ticket and purchased a seat on F9. Likely save some money.

If, as is typical, the weather was the issue, it's unlikely that the grass is greener on F9, but that's really your call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.