Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

travelling from UK to Russia

Old Jan 14, 19, 6:05 am
Original Poster

I am due to fly from South Africa to UK, then UK to Russia. I hold dual nationality - British and South African. I intend to enter UK on my British passport. Can I depart the UK using my South African passport en route to Russia? Reason I'm using my SA passport to exit UK is the agreement between South Africa and Russia meaning no visa requirements for south African passport holders entering Russia. But I wondered if UK Border Agency would permit flying from UK to Russia using a South African passport.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Nobody will check your passport when departing the UK. You can give the airline your South African passport at check-in.
pdesjard likes this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks Craig.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
You will have no problem at all. The UK does not have exit controls. However, if you are returning from Russia to the UK, you may need to present both passports at check in to prove that you have the right to enter the UK.
pdesjard likes this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Great news, thanks a stack !
Old Jan 14, 19, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In most(all?) countries you must use the same passport to enter & leave (if required).
The passport used to leave (emigration) a country (if required) does not need to be the same as the passport you present to an airline, who are checking for admission to the country you are travelling to.
People with 2 passports is common.

Search this Thread