Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Miles Needed for HNL to Paris?

Old Oct 23, 18, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

We're a family of 4 looking to travel from Honolulu to Paris in mid-July to early August 2019 for a son's soccer team.
* Departing HNL for Europe mid-July 2019
* Departing Paris for HNL around August 4, 2019.
* Our exact travel dates are flexible in that time frame.
What's a realistic award fare at that time of year? I
A quick search is showing 35k OW to 40k OW as the lowest economy options.
Mahalo!
Old Oct 23, 18, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Looks like absolute cheapest is 50k round trip with Asiana or Korean miles, but both of those are only obtainable through SPG. Flying Blue is 60k round trip and easier to acquire. If Skyteam fails you on award availability, United and Singapore only charge 70k round trip.

https://www.awardhacker.com/?utm_sou...=0&c=y&s=1&p=0
Old Oct 23, 18, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Miles are not equal. Different programs require different amounts of miles the same routing. 35-40k miles does sound good for that options. One of the biggest difficulties I imagine is going to be to find 4 seats on the same flight so you may have to split into pairs for travel.

Where do you have miles? Where do you have points? Where did you find these options so far?
Old Oct 23, 18, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachsandy View Post
We're a family of 4 looking to travel from Honolulu to Paris in mid-July to early August 2019 for a son's soccer team.
* Departing HNL for Europe mid-July 2019
* Departing Paris for HNL around August 4, 2019.
* Our exact travel dates are flexible in that time frame.
What's a realistic award fare at that time of year?
What is realistic depend on what ff miles you have now and when you look/book.
Those dates are a busy time for Eu travel, and as above, availability will be the issue.

Also, do not only consider Paris as the destination. UK (LHR, MAN, EDI etc) & Eu (MAD, MUC, AMS etc) are viable options. Just a train ride to Paris. You do not need to arrive/depart from the same airport.
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=HNL&t...=0&c=y&s=1&p=0
You have the option of going via Asia or via USA mainland

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
Miles are not equal. Different programs require different amounts of miles the same routing. 35-40k miles does sound good for that options.
And while many credit cards transfer at the same rate, earning ff miles by actual flying can be very different. Earn to burn is what matters.

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
Old Oct 23, 18, 10:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If there’s availability with American Airlines AAdvantage miles, one option is AA HNL-LAX and AA partner TN (Air Tahiti Nui) LAX-CDG. That would require 30,000 AA miles per person one way. Splitting up 2+2 might be an idea, too.
Old Oct 23, 18, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Since it’s busy season in July, sounds like 30k one way may be the cheapest we would find, esp with 4 of us.
We have miles on American, United and Chase UR.
@JDiver - How do you split up 2+2 - different dates or just different reservations on same date?
@mwenezi - When is an ideal time to look and book for travel in July?
Mahalo!
Old Oct 23, 18, 11:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by coachsandy View Post
Since it’s busy season in July, sounds like 30k one way may be the cheapest we would find, esp with 4 of us.
We have miles on American, United and Chase UR.
@JDiver - How do you split up 2+2 - different dates or just different reservations on same date?
@mwenezi - When is an ideal time to look and book for travel in July?
Mahalo!
Splitting could be two on UA, two on AA-TN, etc. And IMO, though I’m not bwana mwenenzi, If I knew I’d be going I’d book as soon as I saw awards available. To CDG, I’d definitely book. And do t overlook booking to or from BRU, for example, because from BRU it’s a 15-20 minute local train ride to Gare du Midi (included on your next ticket) and a fast Thalys (1:23) train ride to Gare du Nord in Paris. The broader the options, the better the chances.
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Mahalo for the tips! I decided to take the chance and just book our departure leg - HNL to CDG - as having 4 seats available on same flights would be a challenge during summer season!
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: