FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Kenya (where to next) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1934436-dubai-abu-dhabi-kenya-where-next.html)

Pookynubbers Oct 7, 2018 8:39 pm

Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Kenya (where to next)

So I have some destinations planned - and some options. I'm just trying to see what makes the most sense.

Firm plans include going from US to either Dubai or Abu Dhabi (in J or F) and then skipping over to Kenya for a couple days. It seems like it would make sense to use the Middle East then as a jumping off point. I've considered doing Eremites US->Dubai->NZ (but not sure if I can do a long stopover to hop over to Kenya for a few days)

Australia or New Zealand
Southeast Asia
England

I really want to try the Qatar J or F on the A380 (I've done Eremites before - but not in 2 years)
I want the long haul flights to also be in J or F.

My points stash is:
AA (100K)
Korean Air (300K)
Alaska (120K and 80K separate accounts)
BA Avios (163K)
Singapore (240K)

Any expert advice on the most efficient use of points? I'm trying to wrap my head around the options.

Thanks for any tips!

Mwenenzi Oct 7, 2018 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers (Post 30290159)
Firm plans include going from US to either Dubai or Abu Dhabi (in J or F) and then skipping over to Kenya for a couple days. It seems like it would make sense to use the Middle East then as a jumping off point. I've considered doing Eremites US->Dubai->NZ (but not sure if I can do a long stopover to hop over to Kenya for a few days)

Australia or New Zealand
Southeast Asia
England

I really want to try the Qatar J or F on the A380 (I've done Eremites before - but not in 2 years)
I want the long haul flights to also be in J or F.

My points stash is:
AA (100K)
Korean Air (300K)
Alaska (120K and 80K separate accounts)
BA Avios (163K)
Singapore (240K)

You options are limited by the ff miles in the various programs if wanting to fly to all those destinations on ff miles.
Expect will need some flights paid with real money.

Eremites = Emirates? Is a partner of AS. But AS award cost on EK changed dramatically increased a few years ago. And are limited by the very prescriptive AS award chart.

Etihad EY is a ff partner of AA, as is QR, JL & CX

AS, AA & BA have a lot of common Oneworld ff partner airlines.

Not sure what you mean by "long stopover". On an award redemption? Now days many(most?) ffp's do not allow award stopovers.
AS does allow stopovers, but check the rules. As BA charge awards by segment, so award stopover is not relevant.

A rough guide. Need to check the rules when more than 1 segment in an award. ---->https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=Dubai...=1&c=j&s=1&p=0

Thunderroad Oct 11, 2018 6:09 pm

A few thoughts/recommendations:

1. Though Qatar is nothing to sneeze at, definitely try to fly Etihad F from JFK to Abu Dhabi (or vice versa) if it can work for your plans at all. You're just a bit short of what you'd need on American Airlines, since that requires 115,000 miles one-way. The JFK-AUH F "Apartments," as they're called, are really like very small rooms than simply seats. Plus good food and an on-board shower. There are loads of AA credit cards you can sign up for to get a quick initial spending bonus that would put you well over that 115K figure. You also can use Korean Air miles for Etihad.
2. Hope you're going to Kenya for some personal or business reasons, rather than for just a couple of days simply visiting Nairobi, since it's not the most appealing city for a quick visit. But if you are going, be aware that Korean Air is a SkyTeam member, meaning that you can go on from Kenya to various destinations on fellow ST member Kenya Air, assuming award availability.
3. Korean Air is also a good option for intra-Asia travel, including because it offers F on many of those regional flights.
4. Yet another pretty good feature about Korean Air is that its award availability is relatively good for its own flights, including for F travel.
5. My recommendation about Korean Air notwithstanding, be aware that it's a pain to deal with - worth it in terms of the redemptions you can can get, but much more of a process than most airlines.
6. As long as you're going around the world and passing through the Middle East and Kenya, you might want to check out exotic Indian Ocean destinations such as the Maldives (though its very expensive), the Seychelles or Mauritius.
7. You might want to let folks know where in the USA you're originating from, for a bit more specific advice.

Hope this helps. Happy trails!