Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Elite on Miles & Smiles (Star Alliance Gold) Expiring Soon - Tips?

Elite on Miles & Smiles (Star Alliance Gold) Expiring Soon - Tips?

Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Question Elite on Miles & Smiles (Star Alliance Gold) Expiring Soon - Tips?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would love your expert advise. Here is my situation:
  • I'm Elite on Miles & Smiles (Star Alliance Gold)
  • My Elite status is expiring on April 2019
  • I'm only at 30% of what I need to stay Elite and as my work requires less travel now I don't think I'm going to maintain my status.
  • Total Status Miles (Current Tier): 11,311 Status Miles (Last 12 months): 5,546
Questions:
  • While I'm still Elite/Gold what are my options to benefit from that? (Request to get matched in other programs for flights, or car rentals or anything like that)
  • Any creative ideas that I can use to keep my miles? Maybe booking hotels on rocketmiles.com?
Any help or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Best,
Sila
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I’m mostly a oneworld flyer, but on the weekdays (in the America’s) FT will have more traffic and assistance for your questions.

The Moderators may well move this to the Star Alliance forum for more expert input (and leave a trailing link here to get you to your thread if it’s moved).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
To keep it short, only flying will earn you status. Maybe you can build in a mileage run? No *A carrier will status match you from Miles & Smiles, and no other alliance will do so without evidence that you’re actually going to fly.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Status matches are few and far between.

Quite frankly, 5,000 miles per year is not the amount of flying that will earn you status with any airline, or will even get you over the hurdle of a status challenge. And you can't earn airline status from non-flying activities, except in rare situations where a hotel chain and an airline have teamed up. (i.e. Marriott and United, although the airline status you get is close to worthless)

You might be better off focusing on earning miles and spending them on business class reward flights, getting you the lounge access, extra luggage, fast track, etc. through your ticket instead of via status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.