Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best redemption using AAdvantage miles or Chase points for LAX-Bali in biz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I'm planning our 10yr wedding anniversary in April next year and we're thinking of going to Bali. I have a lot of CUR points and I'm in the process of getting AA miles right now. What are my options for this route in business class?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by E46M3
Hi, I'm planning our 10yr wedding anniversary in April next year and we're thinking of going to Bali. I have a lot of CUR points and I'm in the process of getting AA miles right now. What are my options for this route in business class?
What research have you done?
There are other threads on awards to Bali.
Getting 2 x long haul business class awards can be hard to very hard. So many people will look/book from 330 days out (=now). Hoping for award availability close to date of travel is a gamble.

Also consider flights to close by cites, like SIN or even HKG/BKK and cash paid short haul flights to DPS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngurah...tional_Airport

What ffp's are you a member of now? How many ff miles/points/staus?
Some to many ffp's allow one way awards. So you could uses 2 or more different ffp's

Credit card transfer links:---> Chase Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timeline, etc (2017)

AA forumConsider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Edit
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=LAX&t...=0&c=j&s=2&p=0 All ffp's
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=LAX&t...=0&c=j&s=2&p=0 Filtered for Chase UR partners
But availability is another matter

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 15, 2018 at 10:07 pm Reason: spelling in link
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
With AA miles, you would route via HKG on CX.

With UR points, Google "DPS airport wiki" to see which carriers fly to Denpasar, and from where. UR points are transferrable to airlines in each of the three global alliances, so that will help you identify the best transfer options after you have found award-seat availability. You can search united.com to check Star Alliance carrier award availability.

Note that different programs will charge differing amounts of miles for award travel on the exact same flights; and some programs collect carrier surcharges on award tickets. So you really have two separate tasks: determine award-seat availability, and then determine which UR transfer partner charges the lowest overall to secure those seats.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What research have you done?
There are other threads on awards to Bali.
Getting 2 x long haul business class awards can be hard to very hard. So many people will look/book from 330 days out (=now). Hoping for award availability close to date of travel is a gamble.

Also consider flights to close by cites, like SIN or even HKG/BKK and cash paid short haul flights to DPS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngurah...tional_Airport

What ffp's are you a member of now? How many ff miles/points/staus?
Some to many ffp's allow one way awards. So you could uses 2 or more different ffp's

Credit card transfer links:---> Chase Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timeline, etc (2017)

AA forumConsider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Edit
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=LAX&t...=0&c=j&s=2&p=0 All ffp's
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=LAX&t...=0&c=j&s=2&p=0 Filtered for Chase UR partners
But availability is another matter
Originally Posted by guv1976
With AA miles, you would route via HKG on CX.

With UR points, Google "DPS airport wiki" to see which carriers fly to Denpasar, and from where. UR points are transferrable to airlines in each of the three global alliances, so that will help you identify the best transfer options after you have found award-seat availability. You can search united.com to check Star Alliance carrier award availability.

Note that different programs will charge differing amounts of miles for award travel on the exact same flights; and some programs collect carrier surcharges on award tickets. So you really have two separate tasks: determine award-seat availability, and then determine which UR transfer partner charges the lowest overall to secure those seats.
I have done quite a bit of research before this thread. I also use awardhacker.com but that doesn't also yield the best redemption. I've searched AA for CX but availability is almost non existence especially if I need 3 tickets. MH can be booked on AA now but I was only able to find 1 seat. I also thought of using AA>CX and fly to HKG then buy the 2nd leg to DPS. But I couldn't find LAX-HKG for 3 in biz either. My last resort would be going thru the chase travel portal and book coach but the idea of flying 4 people with a 2 year old in coach as a lap child is just no bueno!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I have done quite a bit of research before this thread. I also use awardhacker.com but that doesn't also yield the best redemption. I've searched AA for CX but availability is almost non existence especially if I need 3 tickets. MH can be booked on AA now but I was only able to find 1 seat. I also thought of using AA>CX and fly to HKG then buy the 2nd leg to DPS. But I couldn't find LAX-HKG for 3 in biz either. My last resort would be going thru the chase travel portal and book coach but the idea of flying 4 people with a 2 year old in coach as a lap child is just no bueno!
CX award inventory doesn't show up on AA.com. You have to call in to book, but before calling you can see what partner availability should be bookable with AA by looking on BA, JL, and/or QF award search websites.

I'm not sure what you mean but Awardhacker not yielding the best redemption. It's just showing you what the required mileage amounts are.

Sorry if I missed it, but how many UR points do/will you have? And how many AA miles?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have done quite a bit of research before this thread. I also use awardhacker.com but that doesn't also yield the best redemption. I've searched AA for CX but availability is almost non existence especially if I need 3 tickets.
Getting 3 business long haul awards is a lot lot harder than getting 2 business long haul awards and is a lot harder than 1 business long haul award all on the same aircraft. 4 business class awards on the same flight??? 1-->2-->3-->4 Sort of exponentially harder. Airlines offering 1 only business class award is not unusual.

CX AA forum---> AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX, KA availability, etc. (master thd)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
CX award inventory doesn't show up on AA.com. You have to call in to book, but before calling you can see what partner availability should be bookable with AA by looking on BA, JL, and/or QF award search websites.

I'm not sure what you mean but Awardhacker not yielding the best redemption. It's just showing you what the required mileage amounts are.

Sorry if I missed it, but how many UR points do/will you have? And how many AA miles?
I'll have about 260k in a month or two and over 600K in CUR. Ann I"m aware that's probably not enought for 3 biz RT using AA but I'm okay with booking 3 one way tickets and book the other 3 coach tickets either thru chase or transfer points. And what I meant by awardhacker not yielding the best redemption is for example, LAX-Tokyo RT can be booked thru Virgin Atlantic using 80K CUR points in biz and 110K in first class. Awardhacker.com does not tell you that.

Can I book JAL using AA points? What other airlines can I book using AA points?

Last edited by E46M3; Sep 18, 2018 at 2:41 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JL--> Yes. And all other OW airlines and some non OW airlines, like EY Etihad.
All info is on the AA web site. Some partners cannot be booked online. You need to phone.
AA forum threads
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Awardhacker show airline ffp redemption rates. My understanding is that it does not show credit card program redemption rates.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:59 pm

I'll have about 260k in a month or two and over 600K in CUR. Ann I"m aware that's probably not enought for 3 biz RT using AA but I'm okay with booking 3 one way tickets and book the other 3 coach tickets either thru chase or transfer points. And what I meant by awardhacker not yielding the best redemption is for example, LAX-Tokyo RT can be booked thru Virgin Atlantic using 80K CUR points in biz and 110K in first class. Awardhacker.com does not tell you that.

Post 2 above has a link to AA award information including partners.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:01 pm

JL--> Yes. And all other OW airlines and some non OW airlines, like EY Etihad.
All info is on the AA web site. Some partners cannot be booked online. You need to phone.
AA forum threads
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

Awardhacker show airline ffp redemption rates. My understanding is that it does not show credit card program redemption rates.
It does allow you to filter based on transferrable points programs like UR, but the results show the corresponding airline program(s). Looks like it wasn't updated for UR-Virgin Atlantic or is in error, though OP hadn't mentioned looking for flights to TYO.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
It does allow you to filter based on transferrable points programs like UR, but the results show the corresponding airline program(s). Looks like it wasn't updated for UR-Virgin Atlantic or is in error, though OP hadn't mentioned looking for flights to TYO.
I think at this point, I'm open to other destinations if I can book biz using AA points. Any idea on easier biz redemption for 3?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think at this point, I'm open to other destinations if I can book biz using AA points. Any idea on easier biz redemption for 3?
3 long haul business class awards on the same flight is always hard for any route.
Not impossible but very very hard. If dates are restricted harder again.
Just keep looking.^

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

3 long haul business class awards on the same flight is always hard for any route.
Not impossible but very very hard. If dates are restricted harder again.
Just keep looking.^

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
My wife just texted me, she said we should not bring the kids since it's our 10 year anniversary. And she open to Europe, any good ideas for 2 biz tickets using either AA or CUR? I've looked on BA and everything connects in LHR and that's just too much fees and surcharges.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:48 pm

Always a good idea to make sure the wife is on board with whatever the plan is!

What sort of things do you guys like to do? City, outdoors, seaside, mountains, types of activities, etc? Pretty much any European destination is possible with the options you have between AA and UR partners, depending on availability. I'd start to narrow down anything that's the top of both your lists of destinations. The nice thing about most regions of Europe is that rail and low cost airlines make getting around fairly easy once you're in the vicinity, in essence giving you more flexibility with your miles/points options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.