Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Thailand. Trying to figure out what cards or methods maximize ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Thailand. Trying to figure out what cards or methods maximize ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I haven't really travel hacked but I have purchased a few cards and used those points for traveling such as the Chase Sapphire, Chade Freedom, Southwest card. I got these cards and used the points.

I'm traveling to Thailand (Bangkok) in February for a wedding.

I would love some advise on how I can earn a free ticket or even upgrade. I'm not tied to any airline but would be nice to travel on a decent airline since it's a long flight.

Wasn't sure if there are any credit cards I should sign up or if there are other methods to get a good deal traveling to Thailand.

Thanks and sorry if this is not the correct forum.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
A paid ticket or an award trip?

Originally Posted by has78
I would love some advise on how I can earn a free ticket or even upgrade.
Do you plan for a cash or an award ticket to Thailand? If the latter, you need to specify how many points you have in each of the credit card programs so folks can give you better advice.

If you are aiming for a paid ticket and shooting for upgrade, make sure you purchase a fare that allows upgrade, either by points/miles or $$. Also you need to tell us your originating city so folks can share good sale/deal to Thailand (BKK?).

Welcome to FT!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
Do you plan for a cash or an award ticket to Thailand? If the latter, you need to specify how many points you have in each of the credit card programs so folks can give you better advice.

If you are aiming for a paid ticket and shooting for upgrade, make sure you purchase a fare that allows upgrade, either by points/miles or $$. Also you need to tell us your originating city so folks can share good sale/deal to Thailand (BKK?).

Welcome to FT!
Hello. My origin is Washington DC.I have zero points as of now and will be building from scratch. I am aiming for a paid ticket but if that doesn't work I will be happy with an upgrade if it's worth it to pay for a ticket and upgrade. I'm hoping not to spend more than $700 out of pocket. Last year I flew on Itihad to Asia round trip and paid around $1,000 US. Full price
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:14 pm

It‘s 5 month from now, holiday season and the golden week within. Depending on the date of the wedding a 1000 usd ticket on Ethiad might turn from horror into a wet dream.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold

$752 on ANA isn't bad for that trip generally from MFR-SFO its even more (1200+ish). I make the trip a couple times a year. If you want bonus's or details check out the Sapphire Preferred from Chase. You won't be able to make it on miles alone unless you are a heavy spender (25-50k) on card purchases but can earn some miles in the process.
UA booking awards IAD to BKK are around 70k and I am very impressed because from SFO they are 40k each way. For that though expect no upgrades unfortunately. Unless you upgrade with miles and that can be hairy depending on when you book.
My last flight there I booked in economy and paid upgrade to econ plus. At the gate of boarding in HND I seen several seats were available for business and asked if I could pay up for it. They said it was going to be around $1500 and no way was I going to do that. Even with my basic as it is lowest cow class status level no upgrade or discounted upgrade even with seats available and a paid offer. We boarded and nobody was sitting in 4 or so of the seats remaining in business. Id have given say $250 maybe $500 or 20k-30k miles for it.

Last edited by gregoryad; Sep 6, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.