Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best way to fly with miles between the US and Belarus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors

As it says on the tin, I"m trying to figure out the best way to get between the US and Belarus on points. Both my parents and I fly there about once a year to visit family, and usually buy cash tickets. They're located in DTW, so usually fly KLM/Air France with a connection in Amsterdam or CDG, but obviously Delta redemption rates for this particular route are terrible, so I'm trying to figure out what their other options are.

I'm doing this in part because I'm trying to convince my parents to get a miles and points credit card, and want them to get one that earns points they can transfer to a program actually useful to them. I recently found out just how bad their points earning strategy was (they seem to think Expedia Gold status and Visa Signature travel protections are enough while earning 1 point/$ on just about everything and I nearly had an aneurysm) and told my dad to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred as the most obvious choice, since they already bank with Chase and it's a good card to start with. But I'm not sure if there are other transfer partners from either Amex or Citi that would work better for this route.

So, what are your immediate thoughts on what programs to look at?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Does AF/KLM serve Belarus? Or do you/they then fly on a separate ticket or a codeshare on another airline from CDG/AMS?

Star Alliance airlines LH, OS, LO & TK all fly to Belarus but only LH has a 1 stop option from DTW all the others would require a double connection in ORD/NYC and then the European hub but that increases chances of getting an award ticket. United being in that alliance and being a transfer partner of Chase UR makes it an attractive option with limited cost for annual fee membership. I'm not involved with the Citi TY program as I dropped from it 5 years ago. Amex can be great particularly if you get a targeted offer for a high promo signup which would almost make it to two award tickets via AF/KLM or using Aeroplan for Star Alliance partners.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Does AF/KLM serve Belarus? Or do you/they then fly on a separate ticket or a codeshare on another airline from CDG/AMS?

Star Alliance airlines LH, OS, LO & TK all fly to Belarus but only LH has a 1 stop option from DTW all the others would require a double connection in ORD/NYC and then the European hub but that increases chances of getting an award ticket. United being in that alliance and being a transfer partner of Chase UR makes it an attractive option with limited cost for annual fee membership. I'm not involved with the Citi TY program as I dropped from it 5 years ago. Amex can be great particularly if you get a targeted offer for a high promo signup which would almost make it to two award tickets via AF/KLM or using Aeroplan for Star Alliance partners.
We usually fly Belavia on the leg to/from Minsk, which codeshares with Delta/Air France. I had considered Lufthansa booked through United (that would decrease fuel surcharges, too) but was wondering if there were other options I might be overlooking.

I've tried booking award flights to Belarus via Delta, though, and Delta's online booking engine spits out something with a ridiculous amount of miles and connections so we tend to use our copious Delta miles from being at a hub for other things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.