Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best options for inter-Asia booking and/or redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Early next year I'm going to be doing two weeks traveling inter-Asia. Routing would be TYO-HKG-PEK-PVG-TYO, with 3-4 days in each location.

What're the best options for redemptions and/or booking?

I'm open to splitting it into several awards (or paying cash) and can get points into pretty much any program via transfer. Considering J for TYO-HKG, as it is a reasonably long flight. Going to be 3 travelers (which makes J availability harder), but its far enough in advance I can keep an eye out for availability.

Any help (or even just pointers to certain metal / programs / strategies) would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Does this include flying from the US, since your handle has BOS in it? or Just to that?

BA awards can be great value for short hops like this and since it allows for 1-way awards increases flexibility. UA's program also falls a bit in this category.

High speed trains between Shanghai & Beijing can be an added experience and takes about the same amount of time as a flight when time at the airport is included. There is also an overnight train between HK & Shanghai but that may be too much time on a train.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Does this include flying from the US, since your handle has BOS in it? or Just to that?

BA awards can be great value for short hops like this and since it allows for 1-way awards increases flexibility. UA's program also falls a bit in this category.

High speed trains between Shanghai & Beijing can be an added experience and takes about the same amount of time as a flight when time at the airport is included. There is also an overnight train between HK & Shanghai but that may be too much time on a train.
I have 3 F tickets booked on NH (ticketed by VS), so very excited about the trip over / back (hoping to have close to the entire F cabin to ourselves).

I had been looking @ BA to fly CX or JL, but availability isn't great. 15k for JL PY (TYO-HKG) seems like a decent deal though, if I can't find J availability. I have some United miles hanging around from the $600 ANA J deal last year...maybe I'll see if I can use those.

Had not even though about taking the PVG-PEK train. Looks like a very different / interesting option.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlightBOS
Had not even though about taking the PVG-PEK train. Looks like a very different / interesting option.
The train is certainly worth trying once for the experience, though I fly most of the time these days because I've found door-to-door times are about an hour faster, even when taking into account flight delays, which are quite common. There isn't a train station at PVG though. Most G trains go to Hongqiao, and they have recently started G service to Shanghai Stn. Btw, if you reverse the order to BJ and SH, 7.5 BA points from HK to SH is a pretty good deal, or you could just use cash. HKG-PEK @10k BA points is an okay deal, and cash tickets are a lot more expensive on that route because there isn't as much competition.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I'd recommend taking a look at AS for TYO-HKG-PEK as they partner with CX and allow for a stopover on a one-way award.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I'd recommend taking a look at AS for TYO-HKG-PEK as they partner with CX and allow for a stopover on a one-way award.
Was looking at this. Unfortunately, it appears that AS only allows CX stopovers on NA originating flights, not inter-Asia (according to this wiki, if I'm reading it correctly: Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later)

Also, CX inter-Asia availability seems non-existent? Given its 200+ days out, I'm pretty surprised... Maybe they haven't opened it up, yet? BA shows nothing for two weeks on either side...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by FlightBOS
Was looking at this. Unfortunately, it appears that AS only allows CX stopovers on NA originating flights, not inter-Asia (according to this wiki, if I'm reading it correctly: Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later)

Also, CX inter-Asia availability seems non-existent? Given its 200+ days out, I'm pretty surprised... Maybe they haven't opened it up, yet? BA shows nothing for two weeks on either side...
You're absolutely correct, I forgot that bit. CX award space has been a little finnicky lately since the latest Asia Miles "enhancement" with even Asia Miles members having difficulty finding some space. See here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.