FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   left reservations hard copy in public place by mistake !!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1924695-left-reservations-hard-copy-public-place-mistake.html)

TravelPhotographer Aug 11, 2018 7:32 pm

left reservations hard copy in public place by mistake !!!

Soon to depart rt US-UK;
today printed all reservation confirmations
that came in email as PDFs in FedExOfficeCenter;
got home realized I'd left them in bike-share basket
at bike station near one of my stops !!!

AA rt paid with miles
ParkPlaza paid with points
HamptonHilton paid with points
Staybridge paid with points

all printed confirmations contain my name, email address,
membership#, reservation details; AA papers also
show last 4#s of a cc;

My big concern is false cancellation;
already called AA & ParkPlaza to report what
happened & advised NOT to cancel without
thorough security screening; I gave 2 other
cc last 4#s as "test"...

any thoughts-advice appreciated;

84fiero Aug 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 30072790)
Soon to depart rt US-UK;
today printed all reservation confirmations
that came in email as PDFs in FedExOfficeCenter;
got home realized I'd left them in bike-share basket
at bike station near one of my stops !!!

AA rt paid with miles
ParkPlaza paid with points
HamptonHilton paid with points
Staybridge paid with points

all printed confirmations contain my name, email address,
membership#, reservation details; AA papers also
show last 4#s of a cc;
My big concern is false cancellation;
already called AA & ParkPlaza to report what
happened & advised NOT to cancel without
thorough security screening; I gave 2 other
cc last 4#s as "test"...

any thoughts-advice appreciated;

I don't understand the last part about giving 4 other credit card numbers as a test? It would really help others to understand better if you could write in complete sentences without excessive abbreviations - there's no character limit for FT posts (or if there is it's very high).

I'd think the odds of malicious cancellation are pretty small, albeit not zero I suppose. The average person doesn't seem to even know how to use miles for themselves, much less do so as a prank against someone else. Unless your sworn enemy happens upon them or you're a public figure I doubt anyone would care if they found the papers. But if you're worried...

I heard that AA would permit you to establish a PIN in order to conduct transactions on the phone but I don't know any details or if that's in fact accurate - you could ask AA. I suppose you could see if any of the other companies have anything similar though I'm guessing they likely don't beyond the usual confirming details when you call.

Make sure your email addresses on file are up to date so you'd get a notification of any changes and can act upon it as soon as possible. You could log in an check your relevant accounts periodically while on your trip.

In terms of future advice, I'd recommend not mass printing all of that stuff in the first place. You'll have access to all of your confirmations through your email, airline and hotel websites, and apps for your phone. I usually only print out confirmation info if I'm required by the provider to present a paper copy or in certain other cases where a paper copy would be ideal for various reasons. Major chain reservations and common international airline reservations aren't typically among those cases.

And when you do need to print out copies, do it at home.

Have a good trip!

TravelPhotographer Aug 11, 2018 8:41 pm

thanks for response.
2 other cc last 4#s = last four numbers of two cc's

SK AAR Aug 12, 2018 12:26 am

Most likely nothing will happen. I wouldn't worry too much