Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

LOT vs Alitalia EU to USA business class - your opinions?

Old Aug 8, 18, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level

Flying paid business class from LCA to LAX and then JFK-LCA in Sept. At the moment my best options with regard to price and schedule are LOT or Alitalia. I've never flown either so I am looking for feedback on their business class products. Both options require a long layover (~12 hours) in WAW or FCO on the return (arriving in the morning and departing around 10pm). I'm not sure there are places to sleep in the lounges in WAW or FCO. I assume that neither airline will offer a stopover paid by carrier so I'll have to get a hotel room near the airport in either location (hopefully with early check-in). A room in WAW would be less expensive than in FCO, but not significant. LOT cost is ~1900 euros, Alitalia is ~2500-2600 euros. Is Alitalia worth 600 euros more than LOT?

Added bonus for LOT is that I can book through ebookers LCA-WAW-LAX-SLC at ~1950 euros so I don't have to overnight in LA and buy a separate ticket from LAX-SLC (the LAX-SLC segment is operated by Alaska airlines (the layover is 2 hours - will that be enough time to clear customs and connect) and is Alaska Airlines a LOT partner (I couldn't find anything about it on LOT's website) so would I be protected if I miss my connecting flight?.

Using Alitalia to get to SLC skyrockets the price to over 4500 euros!

Other considerations: I can credit the Alitalia miles to my Etihad or Delta FF account. I have no status with LOT or it's partners.
LOT: WAW-LAX is a Boeing 787-8 and JFK-WAW is a Boeing 787-9
Alitalia: FCO-LAX is a Boeing 777 and JFK-FCO is either a Boeing 777 or 767 Depending on the flight I choose the JFK-FCO flight could be operated by DL
Note: feeder flights are not a concern with regard to aircraft, I expect standard European business class.

Looking to buy ticket ASAP. All feedback is appreciated!
Old Aug 8, 18, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STBCypriot View Post
Added bonus for LOT is that I can book through ebookers LCA-WAW-LAX-SLC at ~1950 euros so I don't have to overnight in LA and buy a separate ticket from LAX-SLC (the LAX-SLC segment is operated by Alaska airlines (the layover is 2 hours - will that be enough time to clear customs and connect) and is Alaska Airlines a LOT partner (I couldn't find anything about it on LOT's website) so would I be protected if I miss my connecting flight?.
LOT is not an AS partner Link-->https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rline-partners
120 minutes is not a lot for immigration & customs at LAX and checkin for the next flight Link---> https://awt.cbp.gov/
If AS would offer protection is an unknown risk. The OTA may just be stringing together separate tickets. May not be the same as buying direct from an airline where all flights would be on one airline PNR
Old Aug 8, 18, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by STBCypriot View Post
is Alaska Airlines a LOT partner (I couldn't find anything about it on LOT's website) so would I be protected if I miss my connecting flight?.
One has nothing to do with the other. If you are on one ticket and your connection is legal, you will be protected.
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
LOT 787 is 2x2x2 seating in Business which is not as private and also requires stepping over someone if you are in a window seat.

Al Italia 777 is 1x2x1 review by someone else here: https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....-class-review/ .
The flight back on 767 will be a a DL operate flight which all seats have aisle access also but it's an aging product.

Highly suggest you have travel insurance incase you do get stranded at an airport to cover such costs and that you book on one PNR for protection particularly if you're flying with a 2 hour connection. You have to do Immigration, Customs, terminal transfer and baggage recheck if tagged to SLC.

Only you can decide if the price difference is worth it. Some like to use the money in the air and others on the ground.
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Though minimum connection time at LAX from an International arrival is less than three hours, I’d not recommend less than three hours unless you have no checked baggage (and hopefully, Global Entry. On separate PNRs / ticketing, substantially longer.

For lists of hotels, b&bs, places to sleep, 24 hour Lounges etc. see www.sleepininairports.net. A lot more comprehensive than the name would imply.
Old Aug 15, 18, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Thanks everyone. Booked LOT, will overnight in LA and then fly to SLC on DL (separate ticket) the next day.