Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Is Miles and More the only program that offers Super deals?

Is Miles and More the only program that offers Super deals?

Reply

Old Aug 8, 18, 2:44 am
  #1  
hln
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 104
Is Miles and More the only program that offers Super deals?

I have been looking on the websites of most companies and i cannot seem to find another airline's miles program that offers super deals like lufthansa / M&M .
Each month,They offer various flights at a discounted mileage, like tokyo from fra at 70.000 miles in Y class instead of 150.000-

Does anybody know what other airline, if there is any, that has the same ?

thank you all !
hln is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 2:57 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: SPG Plat, HH G,Hyatt E, IHG G, *A G, OW E
Posts: 1,802
Hi there.
If you follow boardingarea, you would see there are several airlines doing similar deals.
Delta Skymiles (link), Flying Blue (AirFrance & KLM) (link) as well as Singapore Krisfyler (link) are examples off the top of my head.
Ursa81 likes this.
Tokyoite is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 6:52 am
  #3  
hln
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 104
Thank you, i thought of following the different threads of the airlines programs, but not boarding area. thank you again !
hln is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 7:05 am
  #4  
hln
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
Hi there.
If you follow boardingarea, you would see there are several airlines doing similar deals.
Delta Skymiles (link), Flying Blue (AirFrance & KLM) (link) as well as Singapore Krisfyler (link) are examples off the top of my head.
Where do i find boardingarea ? is it a thread of this forum ?
hln is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 7:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 1,836
Originally Posted by hln View Post
Where do i find boardingarea ? is it a thread of this forum ?
It's a collection of blogs you can find by googling
ajeleonard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 7:57 am
  #6  
hln
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 104
Got it, thank you.
hln is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:00 am
  #7  
Formerly known as stellertony
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MEX
Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat, AS MVP, NEXUS, APEC
Posts: 968
American also does promotional award pricing for their cobrand credit card holders.
tonei is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 11:00 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,653
Unless you have a stash of existing miles earned under previous conditions, are a captive customer due to corporate contracts, or earn your miles through promotional offers, you ought to consider if those deals are really 'Super'... Lufthansa and Air France's programs charge among the highest taxes in the industry for award tickets (including YQ 'fuel taxes' which don't go down when oil prices and every honest carriers' do, higher taxes for business and first awards on Lufthansa, etc.), their new earning rates based on ticket price are pitiful, especially for non-elites on discounted tickets, and their standard redemption rates are higher than average.
Not to mention LH miles expiring 3 years and a quarter after earning, except for elites (with some of the highest qualification thresholds in the industry) and own credit card holders.
Plus, LH's long haul business 'Mileage Bargains' almost only appear for their own flights, with decidedly subpar (except if travelling with someone) 2-2-2 seating, unless you are willing to buy a separate ticket to Vienna for the rare OS offerings which, unlike LH's, are for short notice redemptions. IIRC there are reports of rare LO business awards, which are of interest as they are the only LH group airline with reasonable taxes on award flights, not that their 2-2-2 788 is anything to get excited about.
monahos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 2:29 am
  #9  
hln
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by monahos View Post
Unless you have a stash of existing miles earned under previous conditions, are a captive customer due to corporate contracts, or earn your miles through promotional offers, you ought to consider if those deals are really 'Super'... Lufthansa and Air France's programs charge among the highest taxes in the industry for award tickets (including YQ 'fuel taxes' which don't go down when oil prices and every honest carriers' do, higher taxes for business and first awards on Lufthansa, etc.), their new earning rates based on ticket price are pitiful, especially for non-elites on discounted tickets, and their standard redemption rates are higher than average.
Not to mention LH miles expiring 3 years and a quarter after earning, except for elites (with some of the highest qualification thresholds in the industry) and own credit card holders.
Plus, LH's long haul business 'Mileage Bargains' almost only appear for their own flights, with decidedly subpar (except if travelling with someone) 2-2-2 seating, unless you are willing to buy a separate ticket to Vienna for the rare OS offerings which, unlike LH's, are for short notice redemptions. IIRC there are reports of rare LO business awards, which are of interest as they are the only LH group airline with reasonable taxes on award flights, not that their 2-2-2 788 is anything to get excited about.

Thank you for your input.
I have a M&M credit card and collected many miles.
I have found a super deal for a FCO-KIX flight (b747) in business class for 70,000 miles and 540 euro in taxes etc.
It is pretty much a huge bargain to me!
Even though with the miles i have i can only get 2, while we are a fam. of 2 adults and 2 children.
hln is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 2:39 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Posts: 1,132
Aeroplan is also known to have "sales" on some routes from time to time. Sometimes those discounts can be steep requiring as little as half the number of points as a standard award. The only downside to these sales is that it must be on an AC flight which means you'll be paying scam charges (also referred to as the carrier surcharge or fuel surcharge).
j2simpso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 7:23 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, LH Silver, *W Plat, Hyatt Exp, MR Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 3,414
Super Deals on redemptions from LH? First time I am hearing of this and I have been a M&M member for 20+ years. Are they usually just Economy rewards?
christianj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 7:48 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 6,525
You know, there are some good deals in M&M, but itís like all these programs, you just have to get to know the sweet spots. And it depends on what youíre looking for and and on your individual circumstances as well.
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 5:50 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,030
Note that some of the airlines that offer award sales generally only offer coach (economy) class award sales. Only some fraction of them offer business class award sales too.

And, as already noted above, some offer award sales for partner flights, and others offer award sales only for their own metal.
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 18, 7:32 am
  #14  
hln
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Super Deals on redemptions from LH? First time I am hearing of this and I have been a M&M member for 20+ years. Are they usually just Economy rewards?
Yes, they offer Super deals each month.

Currently, there is Osaka for 70.000 miles in Y class.
Travel in december.
I checked availability, and there is plenty at this discounted milage rate.
hln is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 18, 8:27 am
  #15  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Gold
Posts: 26,039
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Super Deals on redemptions from LH? First time I am hearing of this and I have been a M&M member for 20+ years. Are they usually just Economy rewards?
They have Economy and Business awards on LH, LX, OS, LO, etc. Go to

Miles & More Mileage bargains

and choose your country of departure.
hln likes this.
NewbieRunner is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: