Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best 1st Class Awards Availability to Japan is...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

I know it's tough in general to find awards availability for 2 J's or more to Japan (from U.S.), but just curious, has anyone ever booked 2 or more F seats from U.S. to Japan?? If so, which airline and how far off did you find availability. Any particular airlines that have the best F availability (2 or more seats) from U.S. to Japan (ok if including connections)?? Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
KE is likely the best option here, but without knowing where you have points there's no way to answer the real question of which airline that you can redeem on will have availability.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
My vote would be for the Star Alliance with United, Air Canada, and Asiana all having decent availability and sometimes ANA will be open as well.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:20 pm

I’ve always had luck with JAL 330 days out. They usually release 2 F seats. After that, JAL will release any open seats about a week or so out.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:33 pm

This doesn't answer your question but, in case you're interested, JAL's YVR-NRT flight has excellent J saver award availability much of the year.
(this is using AS miles, but I presume that would also mean good availabiliity using JL/AA miles)
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I don't usually waste miles on F but have had pretty good luck finding Star Alliance awards in Business on either UA or NH. Of course, I am usually looking for singletons. Can't speak for 2 or more seats.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:30 pm
gpy

I've had luck booking 2 ANA F awards as soon as they are released via Avianca. Avianca allows one way redemptions so you don't have to wait for your return date to book a RT. KE via ICN are easy to find as well.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
KE is likely the best option here, but without knowing where you have points there's no way to answer the real question of which airline that you can redeem on will have availability.
I currently have a decent amount of UR pts, but also have some MR pts, however I'm looking to add AA miles to my porfolio but I ask mainly so to know what pts/miles I should go after next. Thanks for you input!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hanajiro
I’ve always had luck with JAL 330 days out. They usually release 2 F seats. After that, JAL will release any open seats about a week or so out.
Hmmm, so if I want to splurge for F seats (3), I could book 2 once they open up 330 days out (is this the exact number of days?), and book 1 J and if a week or so out, I can switch the J to F (is that possible)? Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I don't usually waste miles on F but have had pretty good luck finding Star Alliance awards in Business on either UA or NH. Of course, I am usually looking for singletons. Can't speak for 2 or more seats.
Yes, J's are what I shoot for, but I ask as a curiosity in case I want to splurge once Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpy
I've had luck booking 2 ANA F awards as soon as they are released via Avianca. Avianca allows one way redemptions so you don't have to wait for your return date to book a RT. KE via ICN are easy to find as well.
Avianca, interesting! Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:40 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Moving to the information desk as this is a more general “how do I use my points” question.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan form moderator
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
F is pretty obtainable to/from Japan as long as you are flexible.

JL tends to release at least 2 F seats at T-330 and then starts opening it back up again sometime within T-30. They also randomly at times seem to open the floodgates (booked our 2x NRT - ORD in JL F for our upcoming honeymoon sometime around T-9 months).

NH is a little more stingy but still usually feasible with some flexibility -- they have a lot of capacity with SEA showing up frequently (though I would avoid personally since to get from SEA - RDU typically means 2 more Y flights on UA).

OZ via ICN as mentioned also comes up often on UA.com as an option with either the A380 or now A359 to JFK or the 777 to ORD.

AS is the cheapest at 70k but hardest miles to obtain these days if you don't fly them (or aren't willing to buy during their frequent sales) -- though if you have a Marriott stash you could convert a TP to them while still available
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
Hmmm, so if I want to splurge for F seats (3), I could book 2 once they open up 330 days out (is this the exact number of days?), and book 1 J and if a week or so out, I can switch the J to F (is that possible)? Thanks!
I was actually just able to book 3 F seats, RT on NH (US-TYO) today. So availability does exist! Trip is late spring of next year, long after the 330 day mark passed (though I suppose this is more JL than NH)...just happened to be open.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by FlightBOS
I was actually just able to book 3 F seats, RT on NH (US-TYO) today. So availability does exist! Trip is late spring of next year, long after the 330 day mark passed (though I suppose this is more JL than NH)...just happened to be open.
Building on this, i just read on a blog site the other day that NH has unusually opened up some F seats for next year from ORD and IAH.

Beyond that, KE might be a good bet. You can build miles in their program by signing up for their business and personal credit cards (complete with initial spending bonuses) and by transferring points from Chase UR. Be aware that KE's award redemption system is more complicated than most, but it's navigable once you figure it out.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.