Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Advice requested to have deceased spouse's AA miles & Hyatt awards transferred?

Old Jul 23, 18, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Hello. My title pretty much says it all. My husband passed away a month ago. He had mileage in both AA, and reward nights/points with Hyatt. I have read that these miles may be transferred from his AA account to mine, but IDK about Hyatt. I would appreciate any advice you may have to offer regarding this matter. Thank you in advance for any advice offered.
Old Jul 23, 18, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nittfan View Post
Hello. My title pretty much says it all. My husband passed away a month ago. He had mileage in both AA, and reward nights/points with Hyatt. I have read that these miles may be transferred from his AA account to mine, but IDK about Hyatt. I would appreciate any advice you may have to offer regarding this matter. Thank you in advance for any advice offered.
Condolences on your loss. It must be hard.

AA thread ---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

Do you have the log-in details & passwords?
Old Jul 23, 18, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Yes. Because my husband was ill for 3 years (ALS) and couldn't manage/remember things in the past year, I do have all account #'s & passwords. TY.
Old Jul 23, 18, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My condolences, whatever you do don’t tell either that he has passed. They could close the account and poof the points go. You can inquire aboit your own accounts as an “estate planning” inquiry.
Old Jul 23, 18, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No matter what the t&c's say, many will recommend you spend the miles/points as soon as practicable. As above, do don’t tell either that he has passed.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 23, 18 at 5:28 pm
Old Jul 23, 18, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
No matter what the t&c's say, many will recommend you spend the miles/points as soon as practicable. As above, do don’t tell either that he has passed.
I'm sorry, but what are the "t&c's"?

I'm quite confused now. The thread I was directed to seemed to be encouraging me to ask for / file an affadavit to have my late husband's AA miles credited to my account? I know I can book travel using his miles, because I have done this before. It is not a terrific amount of miles (60K) but I don't want to lose them.

In regard to my late husband's Hyatt account, I have booked a room for us several times in the past, but I believe that they request an ID of the member when checking in? That happened to us at least twice in the past.

TY.
Old Jul 23, 18, 7:36 pm
Community Director

Gary Leff (gleff) wrote a nice summary about moving points from one account to another after a death. You'll see that you can do it for both AA and Hyatt. I remember helping a friend with her husband's AA miles. AA required a death certificate and made the transfer very easy.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...w-you-can-too/

I don't think you need to fear being straightforward with either AA or Hyatt.
Old Jul 24, 18, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for you input. I did place two flights on hold with AA, thinking - as suggested, that this may be the best solution. It is certainly the one with the least amount of work.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 18, 1:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm sorry, but what are the "t&c's"?

I'm quite confused now. The thread I was directed to seemed to be encouraging me to ask for / file an affadavit to have my late husband's AA miles credited to my account? I know I can book travel using his miles, because I have done this before. It is not a terrific amount of miles (60K) but I don't want to lose them.

In regard to my late husband's Hyatt account, I have booked a room for us several times in the past, but I believe that they request an ID of the member when checking in? That happened to us at least twice in the past.

TY.
My condolences for your difficult loss.

Please don’t try to use the AA miles on the sly, as that is technically againstbthe AAdvantage t&c, and do follow the advice given in the Wikipost at the top of the page of this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html in the AA forum. AA makes it quite easy to transfer the miles.
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

I assume the t&c's are terms of carriage or terms of contract. Anyway, I have used my husband's miles in the past to book a flight for myself. Why can't I continue to do that now? I currently have an AA flight on hold with my husband's mileage - and the website easily allows me to put my name as the ticketed passenger. We also used his miles in the past to fly a family member somewhere. So, using his miles "on the sly" assumes the airline would somehow know that my husband has passed away. I'm not sure how they would find this out if I don't tell them (am I being terribly naive)? Although my husband did not specifically bequeath his airmiles to me (ala Anthony Bourdain who probably had a zillion) I am his sole heir of his entire estate. I would prefer to do things through proper channels, but just using the miles seems to be the easiest solution. I was going to report my husband's death to AA and fill out/provide whatever paper work they require. However, post #4 & #5 put me off! Since your posts JDiver & SanDiego1K, I am again leaning towards contacting AA and doing things the right way. TY
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
My sympathy for your loss. Some of this discussion may seem cold, but that's not anyone's intent.

Continuing to use your late husband's miles is the easiest way to go - for now. The problems will show up when there aren't enough miles left in his account for an award that you want, but there are enough in total in your two accounts. At that point you'll want to transfer his remaining balance into your account. To do that, you'll have to provide evidence of his death. That evidence will include the date. AA is likely to notice that someone used miles from that account after the account holder had passed away. If you're lucky, all they'll do is take away his remaining miles. If someone at AA is in a nasty mood, they may try to get you to pay for award flights that he couldn't possibly have booked. If you can plan your awards well enough to use up all but a few miles you don't have to worry about this, but if you might want to merge the remaining 40,000 miles in his account with some of yours for that business class trip to Australia, you do. That's the practical reason why you should contact AA, even if you don't give a hoot about their official terms and conditions or anything else.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 26, 18, 11:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

I assume the t&c's are terms of carriage or terms of contract. Anyway, I have used my husband's miles in the past to book a flight for myself. Why can't I continue to do that now? I currently have an AA flight on hold with my husband's mileage - and the website easily allows me to put my name as the ticketed passenger. We also used his miles in the past to fly a family member somewhere. So, using his miles "on the sly" assumes the airline would somehow know that my husband has passed away. I'm not sure how they would find this out if I don't tell them (am I being terribly naive)? Although my husband did not specifically bequeath his airmiles to me (ala Anthony Bourdain who probably had a zillion) I am his sole heir of his entire estate. I would prefer to do things through proper channels, but just using the miles seems to be the easiest solution. I was going to report my husband's death to AA and fill out/provide whatever paper work they require. However, post #4 & #5 put me off! Since your posts JDiver & SanDiego1K, I am again leaning towards contacting AA and doing things the right way. TY
I have moderated the AA forum over ten years (and have flown AA since the 1940s), and have seen every permutation. AA is easy to deal with in getting the miles moved to your account, given your position of sole heir to his estate - and you’ll never have to worry if there’s a glitch and someone wants to verify a trip with your husband, etc.

Read this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html - particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page.

NY Times:

Airlines That Allow Transfers (after death)

AMERICAN

Kudos to American for having a clear, consistent policy: AAdvantage miles can be transferred out of a deceased member’s account to a beneficiary’s AAdvantage account. In April, American even dropped the $50 fee it used to charge for some transfers. On request, the airline will send a packet with an affidavit the beneficiary should fill out, indicating whose account should receive the miles; it should be signed by the surviving spouse, the sole heir or the executor of the estate. A copy of the death certificate must also be submitted (but doesn’t have to be certified, which is also the case with most airlines). Michael Maldonado, an American spokesman, said transfer requests are processed within seven business days.
Old Jul 27, 18, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! I am convinced. I will go thru the proper channels to request my late husband's mileage be transferred to my AA account.
Mwenenzi and JDiver like this.
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Hello. I wanted to post a quick update. AA & Hyatt made it super easy for me to have miles &/or points transferred to my account(s). I notified customer service via e/mail. Both returned my inquiries very quickly. Both required that I take a picture of the death certificate and send it back to them via e/mail attachment. AA required me to print off an affadavit, fill it out and take a picture of it to attach as well. Both proceeded with depositing the miles very quickly (with 24 hours of returning the required documentation). I am impressed. I want to use some of these miles to fly to Kauai and release some of my late husband's ashes. Kauai was one of my husband's favorite places in the world! A special TY for your assurances JDiver & SanDiego1K for your advice to proceed with a proper transfer of mileage & points.
Old Aug 6, 18, 10:25 pm

Hello. I wanted to post a quick update. AA & Hyatt made it super easy for me to have miles &/or points transferred to my account(s). I notified customer service via e/mail. Both returned my inquiries very quickly. Both required that I take a picture of the death certificate and send it back to them via e/mail attachment. AA required me to print off an affadavit, fill it out and take a picture of it to attach as well. Both proceeded with depositing the miles very quickly (with 24 hours of returning the required documentation). I am impressed. I want to use some of these miles to fly to Kauai and release some of my late husband's ashes. Kauai was one of my husband's favorite places in the world! A special TY for your assurances JDiver & SanDiego1K for your advice to proceed with a proper transfer of mileage & points.
Thank you for posting your experience. Your loss was huge, and provider’s can make it even frustrating and challenging. I’m glad to hear American Airlines and Hyatt made it easier to transfer those miles and points to your accounts (but thanks to others posting their experiences under similar circumstances, we did kind of expect it would be easy).

I think your idea of taking some of your husband’s ashes to a place he loved and you shared is great! (A couple of years ago I met a chap on a transatlantic cruise crossing on MSY Wind Star. He and his wife of many years had enjoyed a goodly number of crossings, and when I inquired if she was accompanying him he replied “Kind of. When we hit the midpoint Captain Alan and I spread her ashes from the fantail; she would have preferred that.” I’ve seen him on a couple of crossings since, and expect to see him again in November.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: