Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

do I have enough cache for (16) London nights?

Old Jul 20, 18, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers

(asking those with existing knowledge in head to point me in right direction)
16 nights last half Aug; using Uber, Lyft, etc., to get around;
urban photos of shopping, dining, attractions, museums, parks;
budget mid level properties with above average reviews OK,
e.g., HI Express, Hilton Garden, etc. but prefer central city...
(do any still offer added free night with X consecutive award night stays?)

any advice related to this novice's cache appreciated:
(realize some offer points + cash, but prefer all points if possible)
:-: :-: :-: :-: :-: :-: :-: :-: :-:
957 URP ChaseInkBusnCash
28,348 AmEx PRG wife
26,129 ChaseFreedomVisa wife

747 Hyatt
15,753 IHG me
55,832 IHG wife
103,510 Hilton
125,459 HiltonH wife
235,167 RadissonGold (me) by Jul 31, 2020
245,466 RadissonGold wife
47,247 MarriottRew (linked to Starwood)
973 StarwoodPG (3Marr<===>1SPG)
1,017 StarwoodPG wife
37,362 WyndhamVisa
3,654 Barclay Wyndham wife
Old Jul 21, 18, 9:14 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You most likely don't have enough for 16 nights in any single chain's program for that length of time with your stated preferences. There could be enough to come up with 16 nights from a combination of programs if you don't mind switching hotels. That's assuming availability of course. You can search for real-time availability and points requirements on each program's website. With only a handful of programs in question it won't take long to see who has availability and at what points levels.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 18, 10:20 am
Community Director

I did a quick scan of your points. Many of your points are insufficient to be of interest. Others might cover a night (Hilton). Radisson is the place you have most currency. You can pool your points into one account. That gives you roughly 480K points. I looked at the list of London properties. They range from 44K points/night to 70K points. So you have enough points for 6 nights up to 10 nights depending on where you choose. I also looked at Priority Club. Hotels range from 35K to 70K. There you only have points for one night.
Old Jul 21, 18, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I did a quick scan of your points. Many of your points are insufficient to be of interest. Others might cover a night (Hilton). Radisson is the place you have most currency. You can pool your points into one account. That gives you roughly 480K points. I looked at the list of London properties. They range from 44K points/night to 70K points. So you have enough points for 6 nights up to 10 nights depending on where you choose. I also looked at Priority Club. Hotels range from 35K to 70K. There you only have points for one night.
Keep in mind that the IHG PointBreaks list for August-October is due to be released on Monday; it's not unusual to see some U.K. Holiday Inn Express properties on that list.
Old Jul 21, 18, 11:45 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Keep in mind that the IHG PointBreaks list for August-October is due to be released on Monday; it's not unusual to see some U.K. Holiday Inn Express properties on that list.
PointBreaks hotels go for really low amounts of points. It used to be 5k, but they've changed the rules and now it is 5k, 10k and 15k. Still, amazing bargains. Also, it is possible to buy points for reasonable rates.

Maybe some research on Hotwire to determine the higher priced nights. Fill those with your point deals, and then use Hotwire and Priceline to nab things for the lower priced nights remaining.

And my fall-back for when places are extra expensive - https://www.hiusa.org/hostels/intern...london-hostels .

Last edited by Romelle; Jul 21, 18 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 21, 18, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

thanks for responses thus far; keeping within few miles of city center:
(5) Hilton choices with pts/night low enough to get 5th night free;
(2) nights Wyndham 2 choices
(3) Radissons allow 3 nights each = 9 potential nights
more hotels not a bad thing as it offers more photo opps...
(purpose of trip = photos for travel-related publications)

thanks for PointsBreak Monday refresh tip -- at what URL will it appear???
Old Jul 21, 18, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer View Post

I usually have trouble finding it. I don't use the site a lot, and it seems that every time I do things are moved around. But the deals generally are worth the struggle. Probably the easiest way is to click on the "NEED HELP?" at the top and type in "points break".

If you want to buy points, also easiest to just ask for help, and type in "buy points". Unlike a lot of other venues, they are pretty reasonably priced.
Old Jul 21, 18, 3:12 pm

I usually have trouble finding it. I don't use the site a lot, and it seems that every time I do things are moved around. But the deals generally are worth the struggle. Probably the easiest way is to click on the "NEED HELP?" at the top and type in "points break".

This did work just now but no guarantees.

They remove choices when they don't want to give any more rooms for the offer. That is why the lists are short now.

Also, one can only book two nights per offer period.

If you want to buy points, also easiest to just ask for help, and type in "buy points". Unlike a lot of other venues, they are pretty reasonably priced.
Old Jul 21, 18, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Romelle View Post
Also, one can only book two nights per offer period.
That is incorrect.

You can only make two reservations at the same PointBreaks property per quarter, but there is no limit to the number of nights you can book at a property per reservation.

To find the list, I usually go to the PointBreaks discussion thread in the FT InterContinental forum, or to loyaltylobby.com.
Old Jul 22, 18, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
That is incorrect.

You can only make two reservations at the same PointBreaks property per quarter, but there is no limit to the number of nights you can book at a property per reservation.

To find the list, I usually go to the PointBreaks discussion thread in the FT InterContinental forum, or to loyaltylobby.com.
Thanks guv1976! Love this site. It seems I often also learn as I try to help. I really had mis-understood that bit about number of nights.
Old Jul 22, 18, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Romelle View Post
This did work just now but no guarantees.
That's still the correct link. I wouldn't hold out high hopes of a London city-center hotel appearing on the list...not saying it's impossible so no harm checking. There used to be an occasional property farther out from the center of London on the list but the quality of PointBreak properties has been going downhill for a couple of years, so even that is less likely. But the OP should check as soon as possible when the list goes live.
Old Jul 22, 18, 10:27 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
If a London hotel makes the list, it's going to be 15k/night for something like an HIX that's far away from the city centre.

Also, I question the OP's plan to stay 16 days on points. In all likelihood, cash rates are going to be better value for at least a few of those 16 nights.
Old Jul 22, 18, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer View Post
If a London hotel makes the list, it's going to be 15k/night for something like an HIX that's far away from the city centre.

Also, I question the OP's plan to stay 16 days on points. In all likelihood, cash rates are going to be better value for at least a few of those 16 nights.
I usually use a penny a mile for air tickets when comparing direct purchase with using miles. Is there some reasonable similar comparison for hotel points?
Old Jul 22, 18, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

> In all likelihood, cash rates are going to be better value for at least a few of those 16 nights.

Priority is ALWAYS spend little as possible.
Then via cc big bonus sign up spends collect enough for next ~14 day trip.
Goal is NEVER to build up big cache of pts-miles again, 3-4 intl trips/yr a priority...

LHR city centre hotels reserved, all top 20% tripadv ranked:

ParkPlazaRadisson tripadv #209 of 1086 5-nights x 50K
HamptonHilton tripadv #188 of 1086 4-nights +1 free 215K
Staybridge IHG #36 of 1086 40K
same Radisson tripadv #209 of 1086 4-nights x 50K
Old Jul 23, 18, 8:03 am

> In all likelihood, cash rates are going to be better value for at least a few of those 16 nights.

Priority is ALWAYS spend little as possible.
Then via cc big bonus sign up spends collect enough for next ~14 day trip.
Goal is NEVER to build up big cache of pts-miles again, 3-4 intl trips/yr a priority...

LHR city centre hotels reserved, all top 20% tripadv ranked:

ParkPlazaRadisson tripadv #209 of 1086 5-nights x 50K
HamptonHilton tripadv #188 of 1086 4-nights +1 free 215K
Staybridge IHG #36 of 1086 40K
same Radisson tripadv #209 of 1086 4-nights x 50K
Sure, miles & points help make things affordable and keep cash costs down. However you may want to look at it from a different perspective, as many of us do, other than an absolute minimization of cash. Instead consider it all from a best value perspective - for both earning and burning. Where can you best apply those miles and where is it a better value to pay cash and save the miles/points for situations with better bang for the buck.

Because especially if you're relying on CC signups and spending, hopefully you're aware that the glory days of the FFP game are gone (for now anyway). You have to be very strategic in planning CC apps and managing CCs in order to not be caught short under the various "anti-churning" restrictions put in place by many banks. The gravy train hasn't gone off the rails but it has slowed down - so you'll want to be judicious in how you earn and use valuable points and miles.

How do you expect to go on 3-4 international trips per year using mostly all miles and points, if you never build up your balances of points/miles? While you don't want to needlessly hoard miles for too long, you do have to build up enough to be usable...though your balances above are not really all that large so I'm not sure what the concern is.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: