Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Who should I be loyal to? (from Washington DC/Baltimore area)

Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can give me any advice or suggestions, or just things to consider. I've read a lot and I'm fully aware that there's so many variables in this game that I will need to decide what's important to me.

I currently take about 5 domestic and 1-2 international trips per year (mix of business and pleasure). Next year I will start travelling more for business - about 15-20 domestic trips and 4-5 international. Domestics are all over the US, usually to major cities. Internationals are a real mix - mostly Europe, South America, Aus/NZ, and some Asia.

Considerations:
  • All expenses will be put on a Corporate Amex, but I'm somewhat free to choose flights that suit me.
  • I have a personal Amex Platinum which grants me lounges and Delta lounges if flying DL.
  • My biggest issue is that IAD (Dulles) is my closest/preferred airport, then BWI (Baltimore) and DCA (Washington).
  • I know IAD is a hub for United, but that's it. I've taken several SouthWest flights from BWI, but I will probably avoid loyalty to them since they can't carry me internationally.
  • I'm leaning toward United or Delta. United may be easier for me since they have more flights and prices are the cheapest or not too far off. Delta prices seem to be widely variable from IAD.
  • On the few Delta flights I've taken I liked that I was able to pay out of my own pocket to upgrade to Comfort+ or First Class. I believe United offers the same? - not sure on that.
  • I *think* I could hit Delta or United Gold status each year.
  • I have family in the UK and tend to visit there once a year, almost always on British airways, since they can connect me to my local airport, usually for the same price that Delta or United would only get me as far as LHR. This isn't a big consideration. I'd be fine banking points and, for example, one day flying business to LHR and then getting a separate flight to my local UK airport. UK aside, I'd like to be loyal to a carrier who I'm able to use status/points to fly internationally for pleasure.
I'd be grateful for any pointers that people can provide

Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
What are the most important features of a FFP for you?

Keep in mind that you do not necessarily have to credit your trips to the FFP of the airline on which you will be flying. For example, you could be flying on AA, and elect to credit your flights to BA, or vice versa.

If your ultimate goal is a Business Class award ticket to the U.K., you probably don't want to accumulate BA miles because of the hefty cash surcharges collected by BA on TATL award flights.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

The most important features of a FFP for me are those that generally make my life easier while on the business travel grind. For example, class upgrades, preferred seating selection, priority boarding, and waived same day change fees. Lounge access is important, but I'm covered reasonably well for that with my Amex Platinum.

Secondary to that would collecting miles for award tickets. A business class ticket to the UK/other international isn't the ultimate goal. I'm not sure whether to redeem miles for domestic awards here and there as I have points available, or to make a point of hoarding them for that big once in a while international Business Class. I'm generally happy to pay out of pocket for Premium Economy when flying international, however it's nice to fly Business once in a while. My wife may join me on several trips, so (if it's allowed) I would consider redeeming awards for economy seats for her to have a ticket to join me (either domestically or international).

I should make a point of better understanding what certain FFP's offer in terms of points transfer to other partners.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"I should make a point of better understanding what certain FFP's offer in terms of points transfer to other partners."

With very few exceptions (the most notable of which is BA <==> IB), you cannot transfer miles from one FFP to another. However, you can redeem miles in one FFP for award travel on that FFP's partner airlines.

​​​​​​​Also, please note that the very same award flight can cost wildly different amounts of miles, depending upon which FFP you redeem from.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for pointing this out. I was vaguely aware this was the case but didn't realize you couldn't transfer miles as easily as credit card points. One example I had in mind was what a coworker did - redeemed Delta miles for a trip to Australia where the carrier was Virgin. That kind of redemption is fine with me.

I presume it's easier to use Delta miles to fly within the Sky Team alliance?
Same with United via Star Alliance?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​​​Also, please note that the very same award flight can cost wildly different amounts of miles, depending upon which FFP you redeem from.
And some airlines-ffp's can have cash surcharges on awards where as with another ffp on the very same award flight will not have a cash surcharge.

you probably don't want to accumulate BA miles because of the hefty cash surcharges collected by BA on TATL award flights.
The AA ffp also collects surcharges using AA awards on BA flights.

Real taxes/regulatory fees are the same for all airlines flying the same route/class of travel.

Will 4-5 international flights be paid business class or does your employer require you to slum it down the back?

Upgrades are hard to get. And harder or impossible on ffp partner airlines. It does vary.

Main thread----> Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 17, 2018 at 6:26 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Judging by your airport preferences, I'm going to venture a guess and say you probably live north of the American Legion Bridge and west of Connecticut Ave, in which case, you probably have a similar flying profile to mine.

I'm curious as to why you consider "IAD" being your closest airport an "issue"?

I can't speak much for DL as I've only flown them once in my lifetime. I used to fly out of BWI on Southwest fairly regularly, mostly because cheap fares, and then I realized the money I saved on airfare, I ended up paying in traffic/tolls/time on I-95/Beltway and/or ICC respectively. Personally, I've found the 20-minute ride home from IAD is way better, especially when stepping off a long international flight or TCON.

Somewhat paradoxically for Amex Plat Lounge access, the Centurion Lounges seem better placed for UA and AA flyers in general (SFO/IAH/DFW/MIA/etc.) and Priority Pass seems better placed for SkyTeam airlines (e.g. many AF lounges are also PP lounges) which would overlap with SkyClub access.

Don't forget to consider your destination(s) as well as your origin(s). If for instance, you're flying a ton of domestic flights to a DL-hub on UA, scheduling and possibly upgrades will be easier on DL. Geographically, I feel UA's hubs are better placed for my preferred travel style (i.e. nonstop preferred, or if connection required, long-TCON flight plus short-hop connection to final destination). The DL hub situation probably means short hop to ATL or JFK, and then long flight to wherever.

You can pay for Economy Plus on UA, same as on DL's Comfort Plus. Price premium is usually in the neighborhood of $40-80 if I remember correctly, though with UA Gold status, you can get it for free for you and a companion at booking. Not sure how that plays out on the DL side.

If you intend to redeem your business trip earned points for aspirational vacations in a faraway land, partner airline availability makes a big difference as well. The Star Alliance network is fantastic for where I'm going (e.g. Southeast Asia, Western Europe) and if you're skilled in the award ticket game, you can get some pretty crazy itineraries with UA's Excursionist Perk -- basically free award flight within a region outside North America, so you could do something like IAD-LHR, stop for a few days, then LHR-FCO for free, then FCO-IAD open jaw return, for the same cost that IAD-FCO would have been.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Will 4-5 international flights be paid business class or does your employer require you to slum it down the back?

Upgrades are hard to get. And harder or impossible on ffp partner airlines. It does vary.
l
Corporate policy allows paid business on international flights >6hrs. However, if I slum it down the back I'm eligible to claim $1000, and the boss allows a rest/recovery day on location before I'm expected to work. I'm on the fence about which way to go on that, and may mix it up. I enjoy some luxury on occasion, particularly if it's a red-eye flight (most are for me at least 1 leg). The bonus is nice, but after tax not so good, and I'm not *that* money hungry.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Judging by your airport preferences, I'm going to venture a guess and say you probably live north of the American Legion Bridge and west of Connecticut Ave, in which case, you probably have a similar flying profile to mine.

I'm curious as to why you consider "IAD" being your closest airport an "issue"?

Bad choice of wording on my part - IAD isn't an issue as such, more so it's my closest/preferred airport, and only United use it as a hub. So I wondered if in reality I had any choice other than United. I'm actually 90 mins north-west of IAD, up in NW Maryland close to the PA line. It's much easier for me to go south from Frederick, down Route 15 and 7, and sneak into IAD without having to go near either Baltimore or DC beltways. That said, BWI is totally viable and acceptable as an IAD alternative.

Thanks for all of your other insight - some very useful info which I'll continue to digest and consider.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Corporate policy allows paid business on international flights >6hrs. However, if I slum it down the back I'm eligible to claim $1000, and the boss allows a rest/recovery day on location before I'm expected to work. I'm on the fence about which way to go on that, and may mix it up. I enjoy some luxury on occasion, particularly if it's a red-eye flight (most are for me at least 1 leg). The bonus is nice, but after tax not so good, and I'm not *that* money hungry.
Interesting policy. And the company saves money.
Some airlines now have real premium economy, not C+.
You could gamble on trying for an upgrade if flying the airline of your ffp.
But my guess is after 2 or 3 long hauls down the back you will take that business class seat paid for by the company.
Have you flown long haul much before?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But my guess is after 2 or 3 long hauls down the back you will take that business class seat paid for by the company.
Have you flown long haul much before?
Indeed. Any red-eye flight I'll likely go Business. I have flown enough long haul economy to know it's undesirable - about 10 trans-atlantic trips and a few to South America. My go to option right now is Premium Economy with BA. I try to not go lower than that.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
That is a pretty tough choice, heh. I assume the extra rest/recovery day is only on the outbound, and that the company pays for the extra night of hotel/food? I think it depends on whether you want to be a tourist on the free day you get off. If you're not strapped for the cash, I think it'd make sense to fly J on UA, as you'd earn double qualifying miles for J flights, plus you get to be functional stepping off the airplane. With the credit card spend waiver, you could pretty easily make Plat after 2-3 TATLs.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Polytonic
That is a pretty tough choice, heh. I assume the extra rest/recovery day is only on the outbound, and that the company pays for the extra night of hotel/food? I think it depends on whether you want to be a tourist on the free day you get off. If you're not strapped for the cash, I think it'd make sense to fly J on UA, as you'd earn double qualifying miles for J flights, plus you get to be functional stepping off the airplane. With the credit card spend waiver, you could pretty easily make Plat after 2-3 TATLs.
Yes, the extra rest/recovery day is only on the outbound, and I'd usually fly home on a Friday night or Saturday. Company does pay for the extra night of hotel/food. I'm more inclined to tack on a personal day or two on the end of a trip, rather than attempt to be a tourist (especially if I'm burnt out from a rough flight). I'd lean toward flying J, hitting the ground running, and taking a couple vacation days at the end if I want to be a tourist. I hadn't considered that flying J would earn double qualifying miles - I should really run the numbers to calculate what status I'd hit flying economy vs business on a typical year.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. Any red-eye flight I'll likely go Business. I have flown enough long haul economy to know it's undesirable - about 10 trans-atlantic trips and a few to South America. My go to option right now is Premium Economy with BA. I try to not go lower than that.
On Oneworld BA, CX, QF & AA(most long haul?) have real PE on long haul
So CX to Asia, QF to Australia (+ NZ) & AA to many places
Trans-atlantic is only a short hop compared to Asia & Australia/NZ from the US east coast.
But my guess is after 2 or 3 long hauls down the back or in PE you will take that business class seat paid for by the company.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the extra rest/recovery day is only on the outbound, and I'd usually fly home on a Friday night or Saturday. .
So if flying(=working) on a Saturday a day off in lieu?
That's what I do. If working (in any way) I get paid (by my clients)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.