Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

What would you do? (MCI - FRA Business class, scattered points)

Old Jul 16, 18, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

My husband and I have decided to go to Germany for two weeks next summer. He flies for business somewhat, always on Southwest and always his company prepays it. We do get the rewards from his company IHG acct.
We would prefer to fly business on the longest part of the flight. We recently did obtain the Chase Sapphire Reserve (50,000 pts) the Amex Platinum (50,000 pts) and the Marriott card (100,000) We are flying from Kansas City to Frankfurt and back same way (but it can be changed if need be) I have no idea what airline to fly and who has the best business product. I am not sure if I should book through Amex or Chase Ultimate Rewards. I have never had points before and I haven't flown in 12 years. Neither one of us have been out of the US ever. What should my next step be and what airline would you fly on with business class?
Thank you very much!
JW

Last edited by scoow; Jul 19, 18 at 8:36 am Reason: Clarify title
Old Jul 16, 18, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Welcome to FT!

You have 200,000 points spread across various programs that can't necessarily be combined. I don't know the details of each but your Amex and Chase points are really only of use to you if you can combined these by transferring to the same airline.

CSR partners are:Amex partners are:So you need to find a programme that you can dump both points into. Now you have (maybe) 100,000 points. I don't know much about the Marriott programme, but I believe most partners transfer at a 2.4:1 ratio, so you'll have another 40,000 points, bringing you to 140,000. To give you an example of costs, a United return flight in business class from the US to Europe will cost 120,000 per person, if you can find availability. That's 240,000 for the two of you, so you have a bit of a way to go. Some airline add on fees and surcharges, so you may be paying an additional few hundred/up to a few thousand dollars on top of the points.
Jeepwidow likes this.
Old Jul 16, 18, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jeepwidow Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Jeepwidow View Post
My husband and I have decided to go to Germany for two weeks next summer.
<snip>
We are flying from Kansas City to Frankfurt and back same way (but it can be changed if need be) I have no idea what airline to fly and who has the best business product.
You have a steep learning curve to get 2 business class "saver" award flights at a busy time.
Getting 2 business class award flights on the same aircraft is a lot harder than 1.
People start looking & booking award flights from 353/330 days out. Availability is limited, but can be available from 353/330 to closer to departure.

The real question needs to be "which freq flyer program has 2 business class award seats about the time we want to fly" and not which "best business product".
As above your options are limited.

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
Jeepwidow likes this.
Old Jul 16, 18, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick responses. I think my goal is just one award ticket.....two may be too ambitious. I just need something to lessen the sting of steep air fares.
Old Jul 16, 18, 7:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Also, consider lowering your target a little. Perhaps one way business class to Germany, but coach return... possibly on 2 different carriers. For example, perhaps Iberia flights over using points and coach return paid via WOW or Norwegian or some low cost carrier, connecting on Southwest. You need to do some research on the carriers to whom you can transfer and check their redemption rates. Finally, you could consider getting a new credit card that gives a bonus if you can meet the necessary spend. The choice of card would depend on your target airline.

Good luck, you have come to the right place to start your research.
Jeepwidow likes this.
Old Jul 17, 18, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jeepwidow View Post
.... Neither one of us have been out of the US ever. What should my next step be ...
Get passport pictures and then apply for your passport by mail
Jeepwidow and MSPpete like this.
Old Jul 17, 18, 5:35 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Broaden your options. Look at flying up to a hub where there is typically lot's of availability. Keep your options open.and you will probably have more success.
Old Jul 17, 18, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
And in future please use a more descriptive title!
Old Jul 17, 18, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
And in future please use a more descriptive title!
I have asked the moderators to change the title in a RBP a few days ago.
Old Jul 19, 18, 3:24 am

What are your plans in Germany? I ask this because you stated you have never been outside the USA and there are folks on this site that can give you info on where to go/see places.
I lived in Germany back in the 1960's, visit the country annually and would be glad to suggest things.