Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Have hoarded miles on 4 airlines. Want to get flights to France next year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.

Hello all, I appreciate the info on the forums.

I have banked enough miles on Alaska, American, British Airways, and United for round trip tickets.

I don't know how alliances work I booking travel. I want to get tickets from LAX to France next year for least cost. Gold level member on Alaska if that helps.

What is right place to look for advice?

Thank you,
PG
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
What cabin are you looking to travel? Economy, business, first?

What program do you have the most miles? You cannot combine them.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PaperGlider Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I have banked enough miles on Alaska, American, British Airways, and United for round trip tickets.
As above we need a lot more information, particularly on the ff balance.
You book flights on the web site of freq flyer programme (ffp) you have miles/avios with. For example the AA site may show BA flights, but you pay with AA ff miles (& cash for the taxes & the surcharges)

AS, AA & BA are all ff partners of each other, so your options of award flights are generally limited to Oneworld & United (Star).
AS used to have KLM/AF & DL as a ff partners, but sadly no more
Depending on how you earnt the AA, AS & BA ff miles/avios, you could have credited flights to 1 ffp. That may have helped, but too late now.

For AA there are several long threads on getting awards. As BA & AS are AA partners, generally the problems will be same, even if using AS ff miles or BA avios.

AA---> HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA---> Oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on

BA IB----> Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia) (master thread)

+++++++++++++
BA forum ----> Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 15, 2018 at 7:05 pm Reason: added BA link & info on booking awards
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
What cabin are you looking to travel? Economy, business, first?

What program do you have the most miles? You cannot combine them.
Hi, have about the same miles on all those programs. I have over 200k on each. Looking for least cash cost but if best value use of the miles is towards business class, than that's OK.

On BA, avios.

Thanks for the quick replies.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, have about the same miles on all those programs. I have over 200k on each. Looking for least cash cost but if best value use of the miles is towards business class, than that's OK.

On BA, avios.
OK. More details do help. 200K is a good start
A guide to cost in ff miles/points/avios
--> LAX to CDG Award Pricing Calculator | AwardAce
---> https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=LAX&t...=1&c=j&s=1&p=0

For next year you need to book now (330 days) as business class saver availability is hard to get.
Premium cabin award availability will be a problem with AA/AS/BA (to me they are all same for awards).

With BA & AA (using BA flights) you pay cash a surcharge in addition to real taxes.

The least cash will be UA & AA, if you can get an AA award flight on an AA aircraft. That is not easy with AA.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. That helps a lot. I'll be checking UA and AA for award travel.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try AS as well. Unsure if they have surcharges for BA flights. AS allow free stopovers, where most other ffp's do not.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
AA miles can be redeemed for award travel on Air Tahiti Nui, which offers LAX-CDG nonstop service. However, you can neither check award availability on those flights, nor book them, at aa.com; you must call AA to do so.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
AA miles can be redeemed for award travel on Air Tahiti Nui, which offers LAX-CDG nonstop service. However, you can neither check award availability on those flights, nor book them, at aa.com; you must call AA to do so.
Very good point. As not on-line many will not realise awards may be avlaible

TN-----> AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:50 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, how many pax?

What is your desired cabin?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99
OP, how many pax?

What is your desired cabin?
3 passengers. Desired cabin is coach or, if reasonable upcharge, business. We may value business up to $200 per person each way.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 passengers. Desired cabin is coach or, if reasonable upcharge, business. We may value business up to $200 per person each way.
Getting 3 business class awards on the same flight will be very very hard, and then some.
Getting 3 economy class awards on the same flight less difficult.
You may have to split your party 2+1 and fly in different flights. Look for 1 business class award initially.
Or 1 or 2 people may need to buy a cash paid ticket on the same flight.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Just as a sample, Alaska redemption of BA or AA business class awards from US to Europe are set at 60K (BA) and 57.5K (AA) one way per passenger. Note. however, BA would have hefty surcharges - for example:

LAX -> LHR in business
LHR -> CDG in business
60K + $559 one way (you can reduce $559 to $216 if you take LHR -> CDG in economy since it's a short flight, and you don't get real business seats anyway; nevertheless, BA surcharges are high in either case; even higher on the way back from CDG via LHR).

Edit: For UA, business class saver rates may be hard to come by on UA metals; although you should be able to find its partners (e.g. LH, LX). I believe saver rates are 60K (one-way) on UA metals and 70K (one-way) when redeeming partner flights. Taxes and fees would be minimal. Everyday awards will set you back 155K (one-way)

Above are all based on redemption of 1 award seat. Every incremental redemption would become that much more difficult.

Good luck!

Last edited by Repooc17; Jul 15, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I am learning a lot and setting my expectations that redemption for flights will be difficult. I'll try.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Be sure to read the AA MileSAAver thread. The AA award Booking engine shows few airline options.

Your best bet might be Air Tahiti Nui (TN) nonstop LAX-CDG with AAdvantage miles. I believe the aircraft will be a 787 by then. No extra charges. Not so many book TN on that route - the demand is to PPT / Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia. They might also partner with Alaska.
PaperGlider likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 19, 2018 at 7:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.