Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary advice for using miles to Australia from UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Itinerary advice for using miles to Australia from UK

Hi,

I hope this is the correct thread to post this. I'm in the process of planning a major trip using points from the UK to Australia, New Zealand and back from Hong Kong. I have a few different options and wondered what peoples thoughts were, or indeed, if there's anything I've not considered. This will be for 2 people and my intended routing is

- UK to Sydney on points
- Sydney to Queenstown paid
- Queenstown to Auckland paid
- Auckland to Hong Kong on points
- Hong Kong to UK on points

My intention is to convert Amex points to fly Singapore 1st to Sydney, use Miles and More to fly CX business from Auckland to Hong Kong, and use Avios to fly CX 1st back to the UK, though I gather than CX generally don't make more than 1 first class award available until a few days before the flight. Being someone who likes to plan a long way in advance, this worries me somewhat. Alternatively, I could use Avios to fly CX from Auckland to Hong Kong, and Miles and More to fly Lufthansa 1st back from Hong Kong. If I used Miles and More from Auckland to Hong Kong, it would only cost me 52k miles, instead of 90k Avios.

I also considered flying out to Singapore with Lufthansa in 1st (I just about have enough for my wife and I to do this), then using Amex converted to Krisflyer to fly Singapore 1st to Sydney. I would then have to use Avios to fly CX to Hong Kong and use BA to fly business back from Hong Kong as I wouldn't have enough Avios left to use CX.

Alternatively, if I got lucky, I could fly Lufthansa to Singapore in 1st with Miles and More, use Avios to fly Qantas to Sydney, Avios to fly Auckland to Hong Kong, and convert Amex points to Krisflyer to fly Hong Kong to London on Singapore.

My final option, and the cheapest with regards to the number of points I would need, is I have a BA 2-4-1 voucher so could use that to fly BA to Sydney and back from Hong Kong. Whilst I have not travelled in a premium cabin before, I understand that BA are not terribly good and the taxes are very high, so for this long trip I don't object to using more miles to fly on better carriers. By the time the voucher expires, I should have earned a new stash of Avios to enable me to use it on a shorter flight - to the US possibly.

Can anyone advise whether any of these itineraries is more or less likely with regards to availability? I'm aware that to fly Singapore 1st I have to use Krisflyer.

Finally, is it worth flying out with Lufthansa so that I can use the first class terminal in Frankfurt? Obviously, by coming back Lufthansa, I miss out on that experience, and if I burn all my Miles and More points, I won't be getting the opportunity again for quite some time!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lloydbuck
My intention is to convert Amex points to fly Singapore 1st to Sydney, use Miles and More to fly CX business from Auckland to Hong Kong, and use Avios to fly CX 1st back to the UK, though I gather than CX generally don't make more than 1 first class award available until a few days before the flight. Being someone who likes to plan a long way in advance, this worries me somewhat. Alternatively, I could use Avios to fly CX from Auckland to Hong Kong, and Miles and More to fly Lufthansa 1st back from Hong Kong. If I used Miles and More from Auckland to Hong Kong, it would only cost me 52k miles, instead of 90k Avios.
First class award long haul availability for 2 people on the same flight will be a big problem.
Business class award long haul availability for 2 people on the same flight will be a problem.
Star alliance often seems to have better award availability that OW.
Have you checked availability for any flight on any class about the dates you want?

SYD is not the only international airport in Australia
AKL is not the only international airport in New Zealand

CX flys to CHC (NZ) and a range of Au cities
CX does not have first to Au or NZ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...c_destinations

SQ flys to CHC, WLG, AKL (NZ) and a range of Au cities
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations

Miles and More ffp is LH (Star). Can you use on CX (OW)?

Your plan seems optimistic to me
Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 9, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:37 pm

Can anyone advise whether any of these itineraries is more or less likely with regards to availability?
Can't you check availability for yourself?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Yes. The OP can. But may need to join a few ffp's to do this if not already a member. Or use the tools often referred to in FT award searchs.
But availability at some date in the future may not be the dates the OP wants.
Premium award availability goes quick.

OP may wish to consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

I have been looking at award availability for when seats are released, and it seems that it is possible to get 2 award seats. The easiest is to use BA as there are the two guaranteed business seats available, but I'd like to use better carriers if possible.

Re: Sydney, I've also been looking at flying to Melbourne, via Singapore
Re: AKL - my trip will be in October 2019 , and Auckland is the only airport with a direct link to Hong Kong from New Zealand in October. My road trip in NZ will end in Auckland, hence needing to fly from there to Hong Kong. I'm aware that CX don't have first to AU or NZ, hence intending to fly business on this leg.

Although CX is a OneWorld partner, it is possible to use Miles and More points with them on routes to Australia and New Zealand.

Optimistic and difficult, maybe, but I don't think it's impossible... Hopefully flying in October when it's between seasons in Australia and New Zealand should make award availability easier to come by...
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Yes, I have been doing for the last few months, but the best I can do is keep an eye on availability around 350 days from now when seats are first released. I don't know what availability might be like in October as I'm new to this game, so am hoping people who have been doing miles and points from longer than me might have a better idea about long term availability patterns.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whilst I have not travelled in a premium cabin before, I understand that BA are not terribly good and the taxes are very high, so for this long trip I don't object to using more miles to fly on better carriers. By the time the voucher expires, I should have earned a new stash of Avios to enable me to use it on a shorter flight - to the US possibly.
Reading post 1 again, if you have not travelled in a premium cabin before a long haul business seat will be a big jump from the economy. (Or does the comment only refer to BA premium cabins?) . Some regional business class is not to the same standard. Like on some CX inter-Asian flights and some QF/Air NZ Au-NZ trans Tasman flights.

The real taxes are exactly the same for every airline flying the same route & class (to the penny). Some ffp's, like BAEC & QF, impose additional carrier surcharges on many awards. [The ffp -->not the airline]. AA charges carrier surcharges on award flights on BA aircraft. An award on a BA aircraft from other ffp may not have carrier surcharges (= 100% airline profit)

A long thread in the BA forum on the UK Amex 2-4-1

Yes, I have been doing for the last few months, but the best I can do is keep an eye on availability around 350 days from now when seats are first released. I don't know what availability might be like in October as I'm new to this game, so am hoping people who have been doing miles and points from longer than me might have a better idea about long term availability patterns.
Some airlines/ffp's are only from 330 days (AA & others)
Others airlines/ffps are ~353 days (QF, BA & others)
But awards can appear from 353/330 days out to much closer. Not all are released on the first day.

Many OW airlines fly into MEL:- QF, QR, CX, UL, MH & JL. And just a many Star alliance airlines.

With premium awards you cannot be too fussy on airlines. Availability is very limited.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 10, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
a long haul business seat will be a big jump from the economy. (Or does the comment only refer to BA premium cabins?) . Some regional business class is not to the same standard. Like on some CX inter-Asian flights and some QF Au-NZ trans Tasman flights.
No, I've not travelled in any premium cabin, with the exception of premium economy. I'm aware that regional business class is not to the same standard, I wouldn't bother flying business within Europe because the distances are too small to be worried about spending a long time on a plane. Likewise, I'm happy to fly economy from Australia to New Zealand, or from Melbourne to Sydney; it's the long flights from Europe to Australia, New Zealand to Hong Kong, and back to Europe that I'm intending to use business / first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.