Wiki Posts
Search

Finding the IMPOSSIBLE: 4x Biz awards West Coast to W. Europe in June 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska
Finding the IMPOSSIBLE: 4x Biz awards West Coast to W. Europe in June 2019

Yes, I know that most airlines have not posted award availability for June 2019, but I am doing research now for dates in June 2019. And I am sooooooo discouraged!

Parameters:
- West Coast airport (SEA, SFO, LAX, SLC, YVR, etc)
- to CDG, FRA, ZRH, AMS or nearby
- 4 x Biz class seats on outbound (econ on return)
- June 2019
- I have 400k MR and 435k UR.

I am finding:
- DL shows biz seats at 280k each
- UA.com shows nothing at biz level, unless it's Aer Lingus (which seems like phantom space)
- VA is irregular, but rarely any biz seats
- AF shows rarely any biz seats
- LH won't let me search, but doesn't seem to have any space
- Is BA my only option?

Ugh.
Finkface likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finding 4 business class awards USA/Canada west coast to Eu on the same aircraft will be near impossible (as you have discovered).
Finding 4 economy class awards Eu to USA/Canada west coast on the same aircraft will be hard to extremely hard (as you have discovered).

You will need to split your party to 2+2 or 3+1 or 2+1+1 or 1+1+1+1 and look for different dates & routes.
You may end up getting some on awards and some with cash paid tickets

VA = Virgin Australia. I guess you mean VS Virgin Atlantic

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
As you have noted you're a bit early to game which is good because you'll get into the routine of searches and the quirks of doing so. Remember to do searches at 1 ways, or even segment searches if you can't find what you need, and maybe even booking as one ways to claim award seats going each way before they get snatched up. Also, remember to note which programs allow for instant or near instant transfers of points along with which programs will allow for award holds to allow for transfers. Programs like ANA take up to 48 hours making it not great for booking flexibility but it does have one of the best return award J class rates.

To second @Mwenenzi, you'll most likely have to do 2x2 instead of all 4 on one plane but hopefully not more split than that. . This isn't the worst thing really as most planes do operate to schedule but one has to be realistic and accept that things could always go sideways. If you're going to do BA transactlantic you may be better off just booking an LLC like Norwegian in Premium both ways for about what you'll pay in surcharges. VS and BA do have great award availability during off-peak time but June is not that so you'll be dealing with standard availability which can be 325-360 days before travel.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t fully buy into the ‘can’t get four J seats in the same flight’ refrain. We have four children and regularly find six seats TATL. A big problem is that you are looking to soon. Just check every few days or so (or set up a bunch of alerts on EF.)
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:24 am

With United if you explain your situation they will tell you you're searching too far out. If you wait until closer to departure date they'll tell you you should have booked further in advance. So the lesson here is - it's never to soon to start looking. At make it a habit to look often, others have recommended strategies - this is good advice.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:48 pm

my miles

Originally Posted by ReachingCruisingAltitude
Yes, I know that most airlines have not posted award availability for June 2019, but I am doing research now for dates in June 2019. And I am sooooooo discouraged!

Parameters:
- West Coast airport (SEA, SFO, LAX, SLC, YVR, etc)
- to CDG, FRA, ZRH, AMS or nearby
- 4 x Biz class seats on outbound (econ on return)
- June 2019
- I have 400k MR and 435k UR.

I am finding:
- DL shows biz seats at 280k each
- UA.com shows nothing at biz level, unless it's Aer Lingus (which seems like phantom space)
- VA is irregular, but rarely any biz seats
- AF shows rarely any biz seats
- LH won't let me search, but doesn't seem to have any space
- Is BA my only option?

Ugh.
please can any one help me i have a clasic card and i only credit my out fly ticket but my in flow ticket is not credited how can i credit the inflow miles on my card the date is past
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

omozee Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by omozee
please can any one help me I have a classic card and I only credit my out fly ticket but my in flow ticket is not credited how can I credit the inflow miles on my card the date is past
Your post does not make a lot of sense.
More details will help get an answer for you.
What is a "classic card"? Airline frequent flyer/credit card/what?
With most frequent flyer programs you can retro credit past flights, subject to t&c's.
Not all flights earn ff miles. Some cheap flights can earn nil ff miles
Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You are just a bit on the early side.

LAX - VIE is very solid potential option -- the 777 is probably a bit big for that route since it's mostly O&D with limited feed on both ends. I see 4 available for LAX - VIE on June 3rd at 70k/person using UR --> UA with no fuel surcharges.

I would be tempted to go ahead and pull the trigger. You could play around and see if there is an open VIE - XYZ flight in Y/J that UA will let you tack on if you don't want to end up in VIE but otherwise that's a very strong option if June 3rd works for you.

Otherwise I would monitor and keep an eye on that flight in particular.

You should also get an Aeroplan account if you don't already have one and an MR option -- sometimes they show more availability than UA.com and they also have more flexibility in routing (where UA will only book what the system shows, Aeroplan will do piece by piece bookings if you call in and pay the phone booking fee -- just be aware that UA doesn't charge any fuel surcharges while Aeroplan charges on some -- so you'll want to avoid LH/OS but look for LX/SK/UA). Aeroplan also opens their calendar up further than UA. That doesn't mean they'll have additional award space -- that depends if airlines release it that far ahead -- but if they do, UA will see it first (for TPAC, this happens with BR among others).

Last edited by Duke787; Jul 1, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.